Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jims (Intern)     17 October 2010

Friend getting married

This is a weird query..may be 1st time on this forum

A friend of mine invited me to his wedding (2nd marriage) .. But his divorce process (1st marriage) is still under process..

I know this is legally incorrect. but thats not my concern.

So does attending the 2nd marriage makes me PARTNER in CRIME ??? 

If under worst case scenario the 2nd marriage is busted .. m i liable / chargeable ??

Thanks in advance 

Learning

10 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     17 October 2010

1. No

Flip reasoning:

BUT, I repeat, but, if this friends of yours second marriage fails due to any reason then second wife file may "arrey" you and your pet dog also under DV Act which is the beauty of DV Laws in India. It is other matter that after some difficulty your name from respondent / accused list will be discharged but then second wife will atleast make you taste the empty Jonny Walker Bottle of that wedding recption evening just because you happen to be loyal friend of her husband !

Moral of reasoning: Always do a due diligence of dulha and dulhan (past) of a wedding before attending and don't get carried away with a thinking that, it is going to be fun by feasting all those Indian fat wedding buffet spread-outs and thumkas and band bazzaas and atish baazis.....

1 Like

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     17 October 2010

No. mere adppearnce in the second marriage does not amounts to criminal case, but his first wife msy file a criminal aainst you taking the contention that you helped him to get marry second wife.

chanakyam (Consultant)     17 October 2010

First of all how your friend is daring about the 2nd marriage while the divorce is underprocess? and the second thing as you know already it is illegal, then why are you abetting it?

The other side of the coin:  For your concern about you will part of crime.. you may not be part of that crime becoz always you can say that, you are not aware of the 1st marriage(unless you are not present in the first marriage).  So dont worry about it, but guide your friend in a right direction as not to get into complexities by over ruling laws.

(Guest)

u can also say that u were told divorce has been decreed in first marriage.

Prabhakar Sir,

What are the implications of the second marriage while divorce decree not yet granted?  Though its a crime as per law, how can opposite party can prove that (husband will definitely keep it secret).   The husband can always say that he is not married unless there is a valid proof ?

How can one prove (either spose) that opposite spouse got married (second marriage)? What are valid or solid proofs considered by the court of law?

Jims (Intern)     17 October 2010

Thank you all for the reply

From above i understand that .. all i need to do is stick to my point  "I didnt knew about the 1st marriage" .. I hope this way i will stay out of trouble. 

And also for the record.. i didn't attend the 1st marriage too.. this shud make things even easier for me.

Hi Jim,  I think now you understand both LOGICAL and LEGAL aspects of the problem and solution...!!

Adv. Samar (Advocate)     18 October 2010

just avoid to attend... what is the harm in it.... attending may take you landed in court.... its bigamy... and if you witness it or arranged something for preparation of marriage you are partner in the crime either first wife take you in court or if any dispute occured between your friend and the 2 nd wife then 2nd one will take you to court.... so avoiding it is the best option.... and one thing... here Sony replied that say you was not aware... I like to state that   here sony also indulge in the scene ... secondly u have admitted here that you are aware.... go through IT Act.... its evidence.... so just avoid. 

take care

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register