LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajesh (-)     28 September 2012

Adoption query

Hi..Me and my wife who were childless for 10 years have recently adopted a less than 1 month old baby girl. Combined age of both of us is less than 80 yrs & both are around 40 yrs. The baby was adopted from a couple who already have 3 kids including 2 girls. Couple of points:

1. Adoption deed was made on Rs.100 stamp paper through a lawyer / notary and filed in district court and has also been registered by court within a few days.
  2. At the time of filing adoption deed, the sub-registrar checked with the natural parents whether they were giving the baby girl out of free will & they agreed.
  3. The adoption deed had signatures, photos of both natural parents and adoptee parents alongwith 2 witness signatures and photos & photos of both couples and witnesses were also clicked in the court for their records & it was also added to the adoption deed.
  4. The adoption deed contained all clauses like the natural parents will have no claim on the adopted child and the adopted child will now be brought up by adoptee parents like their natural child & the adopted child will have all property rights in the property of adoptee parents etc.

My query is:

1. Is this a legal adoption as my lawyer says it is, since it is registered in court?
  2. At a future date, can the natural parents stake a claim to the adopted child?
  3. Can the natural parents stake a claim to meet or keep meeting the adopted child if we do not agree with the same as we don't wish to have any contact with them?

Regards,

R

Learning

3 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     28 September 2012

1. In my opinion it is not a valid adoption for all future legal purposes. In my opinion it was simply Notarised and jointly executed as being registered by parties and does not have a valid Court Order on Adoption. In my opinion it seems there is no custom and usage of parties to show it was legal adoption for any future purposes.

2. When you directly enter into a private contract with any person who wants to give up his/her child, you lose the advantage of anonymity as both parties have to reveal their identities.

3. If that person is giving up his/her child for money, then you are asking for trouble. I am not questioning if money exchanged hands, said previous line in generic expressions here.

4. Similarly, the party wanting to adopt or their intermediaries can also harass the person who is giving up his/her child.

6. In private contracts you do not get a Court order on Adoption and other necessary documents which will help you say to get a passport for the child, say for illustration.

7. To make a passport for the adopted child, you will have to put the names of his/her biological parents on the documents. Passport office will ask for Birth Certificate. Birth Certificate as per Law can only have natural parents name. Thus, child passport will have the name of the biological parents.

In my opinion you should have approached a Adoption Agency as per List updated regularly and kept by
CARA which is central Agency for intra-country and in-country legal adoption matters. In my opinion even if CARA and authorized adoption agency were not involved in your facts you could have explored options for child through Surrogacy toute via contacting authorized ART Centers, they assist in getting as per Law all valid legal papers on adoption

Now to test any of my above takes on your query just apply for a passport for child and come back here with your experiences if Passport Agency did give you a passport for the adopted Child?

[This test is for my own self correction on my reply herein !]

sridhar pasumarthy (ADVOCATE)     28 September 2012

1.  Adoption is valid

2. No

3. No

Ajit Singh Cheema (practising Advocate)     29 September 2012

No claim of natural parents to meet or to beat the adoptive child.

1)      From the facts narrated it appears to be valid adoption.

2)      No claim by the natural parents in future. Under Section 15 of The Hindu Adoption And Maintenance Act 1956, No adoption which has been validly made can be cancelled by the adoptive father or mother or any other person nor can the adopted child renounce his or her status as such and return to the family of his or her birth.

3)      Under Section 12 of The Hindu Adoption And Maintenance Act , an adopted child  shall be deemed to be the child of his or her adoptive father or mother for all purposes with effect from the date of the adoption and from such date all the ties of the child in the family of his or her birth shall be deemed to be severed and replaced by those created by the adoption in adoptive family .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register