LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ANKIT MALVIYA (xyz)     24 January 2017

Banker's dillema

I am a manager of Public Sector Bank. I approved loan to customer under a govt sponsored schme. Borrower has to deposit 5% margin of loan amount . Borrower submited quotation from a machine manufacturer in Gujarat. Initially 25 % of amount was to be paid to get the machine ready.   DD of 25 % in name of manufacturer disbursed by bank. Machine got ready by the manufacturer. The borrower could not arrange the 5 % margn amount and swith off his phone. Banker and manufacturer both tried to contact him for 6 months. Manufacturer sold the machine. Now borrower came after 6 months , asking for rest amount of Loan after dpositing the Margin amount. Banker contacts Manufacturer, manufacturer aggried to supply the machine.  After taking DD of rest amount now manufacturer not supplying the machine.  If the manufacturere do not supply the machine and unit is not started I will loose my job. What should I do?

Learning

5 Replies

What is my fault in it.

Seniors screw juniors. Everyone is going to blame me . I can not sleep in nights. Thoughts of all kinds come to mind.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     25 January 2017

If you have collected the margin money and sent Account payee demand draft to the manufacturer and sent the same by Regd post.  Your duty ends there.

If only they can establish malafide intentions of hand in glove with manufacturer /supplier then only they can fix responsibility.

Your immediate duty is to report the matter to your higher authorities without any delay.  Every PSU may be having branches all over India.  Explain the happening to one of your colleague at manufacturer's place and ask him to trace the manufacturer.

These types of frauds are existing from the start of Banking in India and abroad.  Every Manager before retirement might have come across similar instances.  Many of these things happen between manufacturer and borrower.

It is the responsibility of buyer, and as per his instructions and as per quotation, Bank has acted as his agent and remitted the money.

Borrower is responsible.  Though the new generation bankers (from 1990) do not agree with CCC concept of borrowers, it is a time tested principle.  (Character, capital and capacity of the borrower).  Due to these type of frauds, the most enterprising manager becomes a shy person, becomes orthodox, and it reflects in each and every action in his personal and professional dealings.  He becomes suspicious.  It depends on the support of superiors as a smart superior can handle the situation very tactfully.  

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     25 January 2017

How you can come to conclusion that you shall lose job just because one loan the security is not created! Even most successful Banker shall be having a healthy percentage of around 60 to 80% loans being good, most of them crop loan renewals and running account OD renewals.

In your case, if there is any questionable practice adopted by you in disbursing the loan, you can be punished with an explanation letter.  First be sincere to yourself and ask yourself whether you have done your duty correctly and at each stage you have recorded the facts with documentary evidence wherever required and reporting is done to your higher ups, honestly without favour or fear. If answer is yes, nothing will happen to you.

This kind of questions are not for this forum. There is nothing legal about your question.

Gopalan Nair   26 January 2017

The client should sit with the manufacturer and get the machine.  It is his responsiblity, since (1) He selected the manufacturer (2) He asked the bank to pay the manufacturer.  Bankers do not have any responsibility in this.  If the loan is not repaid, the bank can take legal action for recovery

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register