LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

mukesh (partner)     24 September 2024

Clarification regarding redevelopment

my building was constructed in 1962 but today also building is very strong but still 51% members are insisting to go for redevelopment,in view of this please advice me for following:

1. which structural test to do to decide whether our building is in dilapidated condition or not.
  2. If building is not in dilapidated condition can society force minority members to go for redevelopment?
  3. i am 75 years and my wife 71 years old and staying alone so can we get any protection from government or legal department 
  4. your reply will be highly appreciated.

Learning

6 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 September 2024

Structural Audit is an important tool for knowing the real status of the old building. It ensures that the building and its premises are safe and have no risk. It analyses and suggests appropriate repairs and retrofitting measures required for the buildings to perform better in its service life.

Redevelopment of a building may be possible if it is over 25 years old and is declared dilapidated by a concerned authority. However, there are other conditions that may need to be met, such as:
  • At least 75% of building members must consent to the redevelopment.
  • The building's age must be at least 25 years since the concerned authority issued permission for development.

In the given situation you cannot object to the decision taken by majority members for redevelopment, however you can seek alternate accommodation until the redevelopment process is completed

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     25 September 2024

Persuade the management / RWA and other members of localty to get structural audit of the premises by competent structural engineer, as advised by learned senior expert Mr. T Kalaiselvan, which I concur. 

mukesh (partner)     26 September 2024

Dear Kalaiselvan,

With due respect I like to bring to your notice that on 14th September I received your reply on similar query where you mentined that if building is not in dilapidated condition then society cannot force minority members to go for redevelopment. Now you are mentiong that 75% should agree for redevelopment so I am confused.Can you please clarify if building is not in dilapidated condition and if 75% agree for redevelpoment then can society force other members to go for redevelopment or irespective of percenatage society cannot force members for redevelopnet if building is not in dilapidated condition. Your reply will be highly appreciated.Also if you are practising in Mumbai can you share your mobile number so that we can take your service if needed.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     27 September 2024

Please appreciate the fact that a society is governed by State Act, Rules and Bye-Laws adopted by it (Society) wherein all the decision taken for governance / administration, upkeep, maintenance and development are taken by a majority of its members.

Accordingly any decision of General Body Meeting taken by majority of members present in the meeting, which is in confirmity with the Act / Rules and Bye-Laws, shall be binding upon all the members of the Society, irrespective of the fact that prespective of individual member differs with the decision and it has not been challanged before appropriate authority / Tribunal / Court. 

mukesh (partner)     27 September 2024

Dear Dr.Vashista,

Thank you for your reply.You have mentioned that any decision of General Body meeting should be in confirmity with the Act/Rules and Bye Laws. According to MCGM for redevelopment building should be more than 30 years old or should be in dilapidated condition. Our building is very strong and not in dilapidated condition but still young members want redevelopment for fancy and more parking,in such a case  can society take voting in GBM or SGM, knowing that 51% will vote in favour, and enforce redevelopment on minority members. Can we go to appropriate authority for stay before voting is done or any other means by which we can stop redevelopment till buliding needs redevelopment.Your guidance will be highly appreciated.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register