LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Clarity between gratuity eligibility service (5 or 4.8 yrs)?

Page no : 12

Bharti Sharma (Assistant Manager)     28 January 2015

Hi, I have a query regarding gratuity eligibility.

I joined the current organization on 25th March 2010 and need to know if i will resign and my last day with the organization will be 28th February 2015, will I be eligible for Gratuity from them?

W wrote an email to HR asking for gratuity qualification period,they replied back to me 5 yrs, however, i have gone through some of the post on this site and my understanding is that, after completing 4yrs and 8 month i will be eligible for the same. Please suggest. I work in 5days a week pattern.

Waiting for resolution.

Regards
Bharti

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 January 2015

Has the HR personnel replied in writing?

This also discussed in this thread that if it 5days/week then it is 190 days..........

In any case you shall be working for 240 days.........and be eligible as discussed in this thread....

In another thread employee confirmed that he succeeded to get the Gratuity:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Gratuity-eligibility-5-years-or-4-years-240-days-111887.asp

You can submit FormI (attached in this thread) 30 days before LWD under proper acknowledgment with letter that notice of determination of Gratuity and payment be supplied to you on LWD and let company reply whatever it wants..........

You can draw the attention to penalty,punishment with jail time as in Sec;9

1 Like

Bharti Sharma (Assistant Manager)     30 January 2015

Thanks Kumar Doab Sir for your response.

Yes, the HR personnel replied in writing.

I have resigned effective today and my last day in the organization would be 28th February 2015. Please suggest my next step so that i can get the amount of gratuity.

Should I submit the form I now as you suggested or can i send the notice after i get my relieving letter on the last day?

Regards

Bharti

Kumar Doab (FIN)     31 January 2015

Obtain releivng letter ( with good comments and avoid without any comments) and submit FormI later under proper acknowledgment.

Abhishek (Other)     01 February 2015

Dear All,

I have gone through many messages in this thread and got a point that

1. A person is eligible for gratuity if he/she works for 4 years 190 days in an organization which has 5 working day pattern

2. or he/she works for 4 years 240 day in an organization which has 6 days working pattern

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I worked in a software firm which has 5 days working pattern for 4 years 208 days and think that I am eligible for claiming the gratuity. 

I also got the point that if employee think he/she is eligible, he/she need to submit the Form I to employer to claim it.

My question is

1. Submitting Form I means exactly what? I didn't get how exactly we should submit it?

2. Do we need to just download Form I (given in the thread) edit it with our details and take print out and then send it to our employer's head office through registered post or what?

3. What is the proof that I will have except an acknowledgment slip in this case?

4. Or is there any online government facility to submit it?

5. If we know only address of employer and don't know exactly to which department we need to send it then what to write in To? And whom to send?

6. What will be the next step if after 30 days of receiving acknowledgment, your employer doesn't reply?

In simple words my question here is 'Submitting Form I means doing exactly what?'

Dear all please guide me the steps, your guidance will help me to proceed further.

Thank you for reading.

Regards,
Abhishek Rajput

Kumar Doab (FIN)     01 February 2015

@ Abhishek,

It is a repeated query by you and it has been replied in other thread initiated by you at:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Steps-to-submit-form-i-in-payment-of-gratuity-act-1972-116100.asp#.VM3-MC2qr5Y

For the benefit of one and all I am reproducing the post:

(A). The Payment of Gratuity Ac1972,  is a statue and an employee that has rendered 190 days service in a year is held eligible as per def. of  continuous  service as in Sec;2A.......of the Act and this Section making an employee eligible by 190 days service/year has been discussed and narrated in  many judgments................ old and newe

e.g:

Andhra High Court

Kothari Industrial Corporation, ... vs Appellate Authority Under The ... on 12 September, 1997

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/762511/

5. Section 2(c) of the Act states that "continuous service" means continuous service as defined in Section 2-A(sic.). Section 2-A of the Act is as follows :-

10………………… and the question of counting the actual working days in respect of them does not arise. As a result, we find that the contention raised by the petitioner is totally meritless. The whole case of the petitioner was based on Lakshmi Vishnu Textile Mills Ltd. case (supra) which as pointed out already has been overcome by the Legislature itself by amendment in the Act by bringing in Section 2-A on the statute book, In result, both the writ petitions are, in our view, totally meritless and deserve to be dismissed.

(B) . Section 7 of the Act enables a person eligible for gratuity to claim the same from his employer by making an application in writing in Form I.

FormI can be submitted by Redg. Post to good offices of appointing authority,MD,   and/or if you are aware of the designated/competent employee to process the claim e.g. Head-HR...........The Proof of having delivered can be obtained from PO (without any cost) and certified copy of run sheet of postman can be obtained against a payment of Rs.10/----

If the employer maintains studied  silence or declines eligible employee can approach Controlling Authority.........that might be ALC/DLC...................in o/o Labor Commissioner........ 

There are clear rules on acceptance/declinature..................................for which you may also refer to (Name of the state) Payment of Gratuity Rules :::::::: The employer has to issue notice of payment of Gratuity :::::In FormL if claim is found admissible...................IN Form M if claim is not found admissible ,specifying the reason and the notice is to be servedby personal service after taking the acknowledgment or by redg.Post under acknowledgment.....

Attached File : 662593470 gratuity for 190 days service in a year.doc downloaded: 122 times

Bharti Sharma (Assistant Manager)     02 February 2015

Thanks Kumar Doab Sir.... I will again connect after receiving the relieving letter from the company, if in any case there will be some clarification required.

Regards

Bharti 

janasu (manager)     18 February 2015

I have worked in one organization from 01.10.2007 to 09.06.2012. Am I eligible for gratuity. I have continuous service of 4 years and 253 DAYS.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 February 2015

@ Janasu,

2008/2012 are leap years and hence you may count 2 days extra.

4Y240D should entitle for payment of Gratuity.

Submit FormI under proper acknowledgment.

Rakesh Reddy (Software Developer)     19 February 2015

I have joined an organization on 24th June 2010, as per the discussion and clarification from expert lawyers I understood, I am eligible for gratuity from 20th Feb 2015 (i.e 4 years 240 days).

Can any one says YES or NO, if YES I will resign right away and will submit FORM-I, If NO, please tell me the eligibility date..!!!

janasu (manager)     19 February 2015

@ Kumar Doab,

Thank you sir  for your reply.

I have asked our HR department  for gratuity payment. But they are telling that as per this organization i would be eligible for gratuity after completing 5 years. Please clarify whether the gratuity act would differ from organization to organization? 3 months back I have submitted  request letter to HR department  for gratuity payment . But they have not taken any action on that.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     19 February 2015

@ Janasu,

Saying and telling is verbal mode of communication and is not on record.

Did you submit FormI? And do you have acknowledgment?

What was this request letter submitted by you:::::Was it FormI? And do you have acknowledgment?

Such papers should preferably be submitted by redg. Post/or under proper seal and signature from company.

YOu may narrate all representations made so far(by phone/email/letters/in person.....................mention dates/phone numbers/names...........minutes) under proper acknowledgment addressed to good offices of appointing authority,MD,Chairman...........and demand reply/and payment of Gratuity  by Redg. Post only.
YOu may draw attention to sec:9;;;;;;word' Whoever'...................provision of penalty/punishment with jail time stated in it.......................

It shall be better if you seek help from elders in the family/Employee'-Trade Union leaders/Labor Law consultant/Service matters lawyer/law firm........................

janasu (manager)     20 February 2015

@Kumar Doab Sir,

I have not submitted Form I so far. I have sent a letter mentioning that gratuity is not paid at the time of my releaving and as per gratuity act i am eligible for gratuity payment as i have served 4 years and 253 days in your organization.  I took the copy of acknowledgement of that letter after submitting to them.

Our HR dept has taken this matter with our MD yesterday and he said as per company norms they are paying gratuity only after completing 5 years.

Please tell me whether gratuity act will change from company to company? or it is a universal act for all companies?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     20 February 2015

The Act is uniform.

It is reiterated that:

Saying and telling is verbal mode of communication and is not on record.

Submit FormI.

Let the employer himself or designated HR person  reply in writing.

SB21091971 (HOD)     21 February 2015

Hi, I had similar issues. I joined an Manufacturing segment at Gujarat on 07/07/2010 and will be relieved on 15/03/2015 after an uninterrupted career of 4 years 251 days. The organisation works 6 days a week. Am I eleigible for Gratuity as per Act 1972?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register