LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sachin Kamble (Chief Operating Officer)     22 January 2013

Credit card payment made for full amount but denied by scb

As per the statement from 5th June 2005, there was a outstanding of Rs 5900/-.  I had made the payment via check check number 503680 dt 22.06.05 which was cleared from my bank on 24.06.05.  I still have the original copy of the account statement from ABN AMRO bank on which it is clearly showing that the check was been cleared on 24.06.05. 

As per Standard Chartered Bank this particular check was returned back and they had debited me with the Principle amount plus late payment fee and interest charges which amounted to Rs 468.71/- Later, next month I did not make any new payments against the old one and bank accepted the payment but continued charging me interest charges and  late payment charges, which is now amounting to Rs 31885/-.

In the same month, I had written a letter to Standard Chartered bank, Bangalore office and Mumbai office explaining them on the issue but there wasn’t any reply from them and I force fully had to discontinue with the credit card.

I am haivng a big concern, I have made the entire payment without any delay still my name has been listed in the CIBIL and there’s no one to help me out with the problem.  Infact, I have sent a copy of the disputed statements with remarks and ABN AMRO account statement.

I have the statements from June 2005 to September 2005, account statement of ABN AMRO for period 01/06/2005 to 16/08/2005 and the letter dt 26/08/2005 which was sent to Mumbai branch and CC to Bangalore branch.

can any one help me in resolving this issue. 

Learning

6 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 January 2013

Kindly share some more details.

You have posted that:

--“As per the statement from 5th June 2005, there was a outstanding of Rs 5900/-. I had made the payment via check check number 503680 dt 22.06.05 which was cleared from my bank on 24.06.05.

What was the due date for this payment?

If the statement is from 5th June 2005, implying for the period 05th June to5th July 2005   the due date of payment should be on 18th day say…22nd July, 2005. The cheque issued by you is paid on 24.06.05.Apparently payment is delayed.

Did you deposit cheque well say 5 days before the due date and do you have the acknowledgment of the payment? Is it mentioned in CC issuance application, Card member agreement, bill/statement that Card member should supply cheque say 4 days before due date?

You may have a contention that you had supplied the instrument of payment on due date or last date and the bank may contend that credit of payment was not realized to it on or before due date.

In year 2005 was there any rule, ruling, guideline, decision or judgment that receipt of instrument of payment amounts to receipt of payment then it may help to provide relief to you.

It is a vague idea that there was some judgment that receipt of instrument of payment amounts to receipt of payment, however no such copy is available or it would have been attached here to help you. You may approach some senior banker, lawyer and they may have it.

--“I still have the original copy of the account statement from ABN AMRO bank on which it is clearly showing that the check was been cleared on 24.06.05.”

Again what was the due date for this payment?

--“ As per Standard Chartered Bank this particular check was returned back.”

Has SCB supplied you any communication mentioning that your bank has returned the cheque unpaid and to deposit the payment by cash or by DD?

This communication in record may help you.

Has your bank returned the cheque unpaid? If not you can counter the statement of SCB by a letter/certificate from BM of your bank.

You may do it now.

SCB was duty bound to supply the evidence by providing copy of returned cheque and memo of the bank mentioning reason for returning the cheque unpaid.

If you are not at fault for return of cheque as unpaid say no signature mismatch/no insufficient balance/no overwriting/wrong date etc then your bank should have been asked to bear the charges for returning the cheque as unpaid.

The question arises if the cheque was returned as unpaid and cheque remained in custody of SCB bank and SCB re-banked the cheque then how the cheque was cleared second time by your bank. This question is again to be answered by SCB and your bank.

--“ In the same month, I had written a letter to Standard Chartered bank, Bangalore office and Mumbai office explaining them on the issue but there wasn’t any reply from them.”

Do you have the acknowledgment of dispatch of the letters, POD?

--“ I force fully had to discontinue with the credit card.”

Did you discontinue the CC in writing and do you have the acknowledgment?

CC operations of the banks are governed by guidelines issued by RBI, BCSBI, and IBA, and banks are obligation under Code of bank’s committement to customers.

You may rake up the issue on the merits and evidence in your record.

Attached File : 835188402 master ciculrar on credit card opration year 2012 71mccco300612.pdf downloaded: 106 times

Sachin Kamble (Chief Operating Officer)     23 January 2013

What was the due date for this payment?

As per the 05/06/2005 card statement Date " Due date was 25/06/2005 ".  Cheque was cleared from my ABN AMRO bank A/c on 24/06/2005.  I am still holding ABN AMRO Bank A/C statement for Period 01/06/2005 - 16/08/2005 showing the cheque was cleared on 24/06/2005.

Has SCB supplied you any communication mentioning that your bank has returned the cheque unpaid and to deposit the payment by cash or by DD?

This communication in record may help you.

Has your bank returned the cheque unpaid? If not you can counter the statement of SCB by a letter/certificate from BM of your bank.

You may do it now.

SCB was duty bound to supply the evidence by providing copy of returned cheque and memo of the bank mentioning reason for returning the cheque unpaid.

If you are not at fault for return of cheque as unpaid say no signature mismatch/no insufficient balance/no overwriting/wrong date etc then your bank should have been asked to bear the charges for returning the cheque as unpaid.

The question arises if the cheque was returned as unpaid and cheque remained in custody of SCB bank and SCB re-banked the cheque then how the cheque was cleared second time by your bank. This question is again to be answered by SCB and your bank.

SCB did not send any communication that the cheque was returned or anything of that sort, I just came to know about it when I got the 04/08/2005 card statement in which it showed that the cheque was returned.  Statement mentioned "Interest Adjustment amount of Rs 168.71/-,  Return Cheque Fee amount of Rs 300/- and Returncheque : Stop P amount Rs 5900/-"

ABN AMRO bank did not return the said cheque # 503680 dt 22/06/2005 , neither ABN AMRO asked to bear the charges for returning the cheque as unpaid, because cheque was cleared from my ABN AMRO bank A/c on 24/06/2005.  I am still holding ABN AMRO Bank A/C statement for Period 01/06/2005 - 16/08/2005 showing the cheque was cleared on 24/06/2005.  I had sent this ABN AMRO Bank A/C statement to SCB @ Mumbai and Bangalore office on 26/08/2005.

Do you have the acknowledgment of dispatch of the letters, POD?

I don't have the acknowledgment of dispatch of the letter as it was sent by a regular post as the post office don't do registered AD for P O BOX addresses and SCB has their address mentioned in name of P O BOX.

Did you discontinue the CC in writing and do you have the acknowledgment?

CC operations of the banks are governed by guidelines issued by RBI, BCSBI, and IBA, and banks are obligation under Code of bank’s committement to customers.

You may rake up the issue on the merits and evidence in your record.

Yes, I had sent the Letter for reversal of return cheque fee and interest adjustment amount fee in which, I had clearly mentioned these charges were falsely levied to me by SCB and if these charges are not reversed back, I would discontinue using the credit card.

I am very much frustrated at this time as I had to purchase a very good property which I was getting at a very good price but now because of my CIBIL record I just cannot move ahead.  Just because of SCB's mistake my credit history is at risk.  I am ready to go to extreme level to fight for this and make sure that not only my name from CIBIL record is cleared but at the same time I want to get paid from SCB for spoiling my credit history. 

I am a very hard working person, life is getting tough every day and a ordinary person like me cannot afford to take risk of spoiling own credit history by a financial entity like SCB for a mistake which they have done.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 January 2013

You have posted that:

“Return Cheque Fee amount of Rs 300/- and Returncheque : Stop P amount Rs 5900/-"

Apparently it means the payment was stopped. It shall be better to obtain a certificate from ABN AMRO bank that it never received instruction to stop the payment.

If possible you may obtain the certificate from ABN AMRO bank mentioning the chq was never returned. It shall b better to make it a party and let it also come forward if it returned the cheque.

You may also press SCB to supply you the certified copy of returned cheque and bank memo to substantiate their claim.

It is not clear that SCB has retained the a/c with it or has sold it to some ARC, third party.

You can take up the matter with BO/RBI, BCSBI, and IBA.

However it shall be appropriate to show all docs and records to a lawyer specializing in consumer cases and give inputs in person. Your lawyer can advice you what shall be more rewarding civil suite with damages, criminal complaint, DCDRF, Lok Adalat….

RBI has directed banks to issue notice to CC holder before reporting the customer as a defaulter to CIBIL.

Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought.

Sachin Kamble (Chief Operating Officer)     23 January 2013

Thanks for the prompt reply, Mr Kumar.  I am desperate to take a guidance from any legal advisor/lawyer who can help me in this case.  Do let me know if you know anyone in pune.  I would be more than happy to take is guidance and if I am not wrong I would be interested in hiring him and move ahead with legal actions against SCB. FYI - my name is sachin kamble and my no is nine eight nine zero six eight seven three nine eight. and sachinkamble71 on ym

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 January 2013

If you wish to avail the services of LCI lawyer you can conduct search at:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/lawyers_search/#.UP-37TfZ1JI

Your near and dear ones can also guide you to a competent and experienced lawyer specializing in such matters.

It is felt that ABN AMRO bank is now RBS.

Apply your resources and obtain certificate/declaration from ABN AMRO/RBS.

https://www.rbs.in/India/Contact/Contact/index.htm

The media coverage accelerates the banks. Many of harassed citizens put their complaints at social/public/legal/consumer portals and portals like facebook etc. Many of the organizations keep a tab on such portals and respond.

Some of the consumers help groups and others have been doing good job. You may try by approaching them too and proceed as deemed fit at your end.

https://www.mouthshut.com/

pehredar@network18online.com

https://www.facebook.com/Pehredar

www.bighelpers.org

www.creditcardwatch.org

Credit Card Holders Association of India

https://www.creditcardasson.org/RBI%20guidelines%20on%20credit%20cards.doc

https://ashisha.com/consumer/

www.grahakseva.com/

https://www.akosha.com/contact.html

The decisions of the DCDRF, State and national Commission can be accessed at:

Confonet

confonet.nic.in/

You may get some of the useful judgments pertaining to your case.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register