LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abhishek   20 September 2024

Criminal proceedings for involuantary/unconsented charges deducted by the bank from account

I had a basic saving account in a bank with no annual maintenance charges. The bank automatically changed (without seeking my consent) the saving account type to one having maintenance charges  without my knowledge or consent and then it started deducting maintenance charges.  All the amount lying in the account was deducted and they have started building a negative balance in the account. When all of this was discovered I asked the bank to reverse the charges that they have deducted without my consent which they have declined. Besides availing other legal civil remedies I also want to file a criminal compliant (either to the police/ or to the Magistrates Court). I have few questions

1. Is this act of the bank liable for simultaneous criminal prosecution
  2. I want to file under complaint on follwing counts
    • Criminal Breach of Trust - Misappropriating the funds in my account for their own use(commercial benefit) without my consent.
    • Cheating and Fraud - Fraudulently deducting amount from my account
    • Mischief
    • Nuisance
  3. Will the act of bank be fall under above criminal sections, is there any other section that may apply
  4. Has anyone seen a criminal proceeding of this nature before and its outcomes and if so can you please share relevant case laws
  5. Who is the party in these proceedings
    • The local bank staff
    • The banks directors
    • The bank itself

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 September 2024

1. It will not come under criminal offence.

2. Not maintainable.

3. No.

4. You can engage the services of a lawyer to proceed with the appropriate action against bank if you are not aware of the procedures to be followed for taking any action against bank.

5. Read the above answer 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register