LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vaibhav Pandiya (Director)     14 November 2012

Daughters' right in ancestral property!

Well, I have a serious issue for which I have taken lots of advices, but have been getting suggestions of mixed opinions and different orders.

The situation is as follows:-

My Grandfather died in the year 1986, leaving no will (registered or unregistered), and in his life time he purchased few immovable properties, one of which is a plot situated in Kanpur. To him are three brothers (say A, B and C) and four daughters (say D,E,F and G). After his death the three sons got their names mutated in the property without any knowledge or notification of sisters.

Now they all decided to sell this PLOT and for this the four daughters demanded their equal shares in the property (citing the Amendment in the Hindu Succession Act 2005), and in this effect a legal notice has already been sent to the three brothers about a year back.

After that a family meeting was held and several proposals/points have been tabled by the sons like:-

1.       They are saying that this is an agricultural land and in this kind of land Hindu Succession Act is not applicable, and so in this kind of land daughters have no right!

2.       According to them (the sons), the rights of daughters in ancestral property have came into effect only for those properties where the owner dies after the year 2005.

3.       According to them, the rights can be exercised only by those daughters who have been married after the year 2005.

4.       Though they are willing to give a share up to 8% to each daughter (instead of 14.3% which is 1/7th), the daughters are even ready at this compromise but what we want is a registered agreement to this effect for which they are denying.

My Questions

1.       What is the state of rights of daughters in view of the Amendment in this act with respect to the following points:-

(a)    Nature of the land:

As of today the land is urban and the the area comes in a ward of Kanpur Nagar Nigam. What is the state of right of daughter if it is urban agricultural land? Is the right applicable only for residential properties? Though no agricultural activity has been done or is planned to be done in this land. Are rights for such lands governed by other acts (different for different states) and not by Hindu Succession Act?

(b)   Is there no right of daughters (according to Hindu Succession Act) if she has been married before 2005?

(c)    Is there no right of daughters (according to Hindu Succession Act) if the father has died without will before the year 2005? 

2.       If the daughters have the rights then how (in the year 1986) the sons got only their names mutated in this property and not of the daughters?

3.       Can they legally sell this property without the consent of daughters? And if yes, then what must be the immediate action to restrict such an act?

I will be highly grateful if any of you learned experts can help me in this issue and advice me what course of action to be taken.

Thanks for your valuable time and support.

Learning

5 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     14 November 2012

Your grand father died intestate, so daughters have got equal share along with the brothers.  Daughters share cannot be denied.

Rajkumar (independent)     15 November 2012

Since it appears to be the self acquired property of your grandpa, from what unsay, all his sons and daughters have got equal share(1/7) as rightly said by you in the query, provided there is no Will executed by him.  

The 2005 amendment does not say that the daughters must remain unmarrid or married at that time. 

The sons cannot legally sell the property without the signature of female sharerers. If they do you can go to court and seek for partition and also ask for injunction restricting them from selling their share. 

Vaibhav Pandiya (Director)     15 November 2012

I am thankful to both of you for your suggestions but what I am confused about is for the following points:-

1. What is the state of rights of daughters in view of the Amendment in this act with respect to the following points:-

(a) Nature of the land:

As of today the land is urban and the the area comes in a ward of Kanpur Nagar Nigam. What is the state of right of daughter if it is urban agricultural land? Is the right applicable only for residential properties? Though no agricultural activity has been done or is planned to be done in this land. Are rights for such lands governed by other acts (different for different states) and not by Hindu Succession Act?

(b) Is there no right of daughters (according to Hindu Succession Act) if she has been married before 2005?

(c) Is there no right of daughters (according to Hindu Succession Act) if the father has died without will before the year 2005?

Rajkumar (independent)     15 November 2012

A) The Act does not classify about urban agricultural or residential properties.  It simply says joint family property.  So the nature of property is immaterial for the benefit to flow.

B) & C) I  Already said that marriage year is insignificant so far as HIndu succession Act is concerned and the only criteria for getting the benefit by a female member as a coparcener of JFP is that there shall not be any transfer,alienation or partition or transfer by will or of other kind till 20-12-2004 and at the same time any such transfers done up to 20-12-2004 will not get invalid by virtue of the amendment to Hindu Succession Act.

Vaibhav Pandiya (Director)     15 November 2012

Thanks a lot to you, I guess I am ay much clarity now, the only doubt is as you said, "the only criteria for getting the benefit by a female member as a coparcener of JFP is that there shall not be any transfer,alienation or partition or transfer by will or of other kind till 20-12-2004 and at the same time any such transfers done up to 20-12-2004 will not get invalid by virtue of the amendment to Hindu Succession Act."

And as I mentioned, that immediately after the death of grandfather,in the year 1986, his three sons got their names mutated as the owners of the aforesaid land, here no notification was made to the sisters. But no partition has been taken place till now, neither there was any will of the grandfather. So what this situation stands for???? Is this comes under "any transfer,alienation or partition or transfer by will or of other kind till 20-12-2004 and at the same time any such transfers done up to 20-12-2004 will not get invalid by virtue of the amendment to Hindu Succession Act.???"

Would be pleased and benefited by your valuable advice.

Thanks!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register