Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anonymus (Student)     20 July 2024

Does husband or his parents have the right on wife's property given as dowry ?

Does husband or  his parents have the right to acquire or take away or to demand or to sell the property , gifts, and gold of wife's which were given as dowry during her marriage ? 

Can they force to sell the property given as gift under my name ? 

What steps shall be taken to save gifts given on my name ? 

Also , Does husband or in law's have the right to tell me to quit my job ?? Is it legal ?

Can i complaint on this basis ?

Is there any legal way to have an agreement between  spouse and in laws to not to force  me quit my job in future ? 

Learning

6 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 July 2024

Nobody has any rights over your property whether it was gifted to you by your side or husband side. 

Your in laws cannot force you to quit your job. 

Yes you can file a criminal case against them if they force you. 

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     20 July 2024

No, no person whether he is husband or any family member of wife has right over the properties ( movable or immovable  ) got in marriage, these properties  are Stridhan of wife.

Nobody can pressurised you to quit job.

No need to enter in any agreement with your husband and his family members regarding job.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     20 July 2024

It forms part of her Stridhan, where no one has any right, claim or interest over such property.

No one can compel her.

Pure hypothetical and academic facts, consult your professor / coach / tutor

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Telangana state Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     20 July 2024

In India, a wife's property is generally considered her absolute property, and her husband or his relatives do not have automatic rights over it. However, there are some exceptions and nuances: 1. *Hindu Marriage Act*: Under this Act, a husband has no automatic right to his wife's property. However, if the wife inherits property from her ancestors or father, her husband may have a claim over it as a legal heir. 2. *Indian Succession Act*: This Act governs inheritance and succession rights. A husband or his relatives may have a claim over a wife's property if she dies intestate (without a will) or if she inherits property from her ancestors or father. 3. *Muslim Personal Law*: Under Muslim law, a husband has a right to a share of his wife's property, but only if she dies without a will (intestate). 4. *Joint ownership*: If a husband and wife own property jointly, they both have rights over the property. 5. *Gift or will*: If a wife receives property as a gift or through a will, her husband or his relatives may not have any automatic rights over it. It's important to note that these laws are subject to change and may vary depending on the specific circumstances and the couple's religious laws. It's always advisable to consult a lawyer for specific guidance on property rights.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     21 July 2024

Law of "Succession" applies after death of a person (wife in the instant case).

Shashi Dhara   22 July 2024

They can force her but she should👌have strong firm to reject it and to face consequences.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register