Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abdulkader (Software Engg)     19 March 2013

House rent receipt

Hi Laywers,

Can anyone please help me with the below concern I have.

We own 2 rooms house in South Mumbai which my grandfather purchased 65 yrs back. At that time he did not changed the name on house receipt given by the landlord. Till now we are getting house receipt on old owners name. Now, we approached the landlord to change the name of both the rooms to my and my brother name, for which he is ready by asking for 30% of the property price.

Also, he told us if we dont do it now and tommorow if any builder purchases the building, he will tell the builder that we are illegal occupying 2 rooms.

Can you please let me know the laws of tenents as we are staying in this premises for more then 60 yrs, but dont have house receipts on our name? Can landlord take legal action against us or ask us to leave the premises.

Thanks & Regards,

Learning

2 Replies

Naishadh Vyas (Lawyer)     19 March 2013

yes landlord can take action in absence of legal documents. If your grandfather had purchased u must be have some written document.

Abdulkader (Software Engg)     19 March 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. No, we dont have any written documents. We just have old electricity, telephone bills and our Passport is on same address.

1) As we are staying in the premises from 1949, are we not legal to stay?

2) Also, is there a law which say that any tenant leaving in a premises pre 1995 is legal tenant even if the receipt is not on his name?

Thanks,

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register