LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sandeep Prashar   30 June 2024

How to get my savings account unblocked?

My bank blocked my savings account without any intimation ( email/SMS) 4 days ago. The account is a joint account with myself as primaty holder and my ex-wife (separated for 1o years and divorced since last 3 years). On enqiring, the bank demanding the docs of my ex-wife, with whom i have no contact since last 10 years. Moreover, she acquired Canadian citizenship in 2013, and lives there. I requsted to the bank 7-8 years ago to delete her name from the account, but they demanded a request letter signed by her, which was not possible. As i operated this account myself during the last 20 years, i didn't see any harm and started using it. Now, the bank has blocked it. Is there any legal course of action that i can take to get my acount unblocked? Thanks in advance.

Learning

8 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     30 June 2024

You can send a legal notice to the bank demanding reasons for freezing the account.

Have they freezed the account or blocked it?

Blocked the account means?

You ascertain the details and comply with the requirements to get the account released 

1 Like

Dear Mr. Kalaisevan,

Thanks for the reply.

My account has been blocked and not freezed. Blocked means all the debit facilities (through cheque, upi, online transfer, debit card) have been locked. However, crediting the account is allowed. 

P.ease advice accordingly.

Regards,

Sandeep Prashar.

A blocked account, generally speaking, refers to an account that does not allow for unlimited or indiscriminate withdrawal or other access but instead has certain restrictions or limitations on when, how much, and by whom capital can be withdrawn.

If a bank detects suspicious activity on an account that may be linked to fraud, money laundering, or other criminal activity, it may freeze the account for further investigation. The user who can say, that maybe the bank closed my account for suspicious activity, usually has some prerequisites.

There are two main reasons why a bank account in India might be frozen: Legal disputes: If there's a legal case against an account holder, a court order can freeze the account to prevent them from accessing the funds. This could be for reasons like debt collection, tax issues, or criminal investigations.

However, any money deposited during the freeze will remain in the account. This halt affects withdrawals and transfers, including any scheduled payments for bills or subscripttions, meaning these payments may fail.

Have you contacted bank about this and got the clarification?

If not then immediately send a notice to the bank demanding reasons for freezing your account

Dear Sir,

Yes, i contacted the bank and was told that the ac has been blocked bcas my e -wife has not submitted her KUC docs. I told the branch manager everything, but he was adament on that. He advised me to send me an application with all details to him, which he will forward to their legal department. But, he said he was not optimistic abt the outcome. 

What should i do, as i can't get docs of my ex-wife?

Regards,

Sandeep.

You were advised to issue a legal notice to the bank demanding the details.

The legal notice is the first legal step.

Your reply seems that you are not very serious about this issue.

1 Like

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Telangana state Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     01 July 2024

Have u submitted to yhe bank divorce certificate issued by concerned courts ?

1 Like

Sandeep Prashar   01 July 2024

Dear Mr Rama,

No, i didn't, bcas i received it  uch later, as the divorce was filed by my ex-wife in Canada. I got a copy of divorce certificate much latef in tbe begining of this year.

Regards,

Sandeep.

Neeraj T Narendran   01 July 2024

You need to ask the bank authority, through a written notice, the reason for blocking your bank account.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More