Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vibhav   14 August 2024

Is an advocate mandated to provide copy of an agreement he is sending a legal notice to?

An advocate has sent me a notice. It is based upon two documents which I am supposed to have signed. I had trusted his client  and do not have a notarized copy of the two documents. Much later he had given me a Xerox copy. Even then I had not bothered to check it. Now I think that he has manipulated the documents, probably forged my signature.

Is the lawyer mandated to give me a copy of these documents if I ask him to? I had sent him a notice asking me to give some other documents too but he has not responded yet. Now, I want to narrow the request to just these two documents.  Is he required by the Bar Council Rules or any applicable Act to provide the same? If so, please provide the section or law.

Thank you.

Learning

3 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     14 August 2024

The advocate engaged by you should work for your interests 

If he is not cooperating then you can always terminate the vakalatnama and either engage a new lawyer or continue the case as party in person.

Once you have terminated your advocate then he cannot any mischief in your case against your interest 

1 Like

Vibhav   15 August 2024

Sorry. You misunderstood my question. It is the advocate of the other party who has served me legal notice based upon two agreements that he claims that I have signed with his client.  I do not have these copies. So I wrote to him that I need to get notarized copies of these documents. He has declined to provide them. I mean he did not decline expressly but i had given him two weeks to provide the copies and the time to do so has expired.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 August 2024

The advocate has issued a notice to you to which you could have replied denying his allegations or the averments mentioning them to he irrelevant to you.

You should have taken the assistance of your lawyer to send the reply 

You cannot demand the advocate to send the notarised copies of the docuements you rely upon, and not furnishing the copies as demanded by you will not be termed as an offence committed by that advocate.

He is doing the job on behalf of his client and not in personal capcaity.

If you have any grievances you can look for remedy through legal sources instead of indulging in such activities which are niot advisabvle in your own interests

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register