Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jitesh Menon (Administrator)     14 November 2013

Joint custody of minor

Hi,

I am married for the last 10 years and living separate from my wife for the last 3 years out of that 10. We have a 6 year old son.

We did not move for filing divorce proceedings, as we were unable to agree on the aspect of custody of our son.

During our separation period of 3 years, we agreed to shared custody of our son. He stays with me over the weekends and spends the week with my wife.

My wife is very well employed and has a stenuous and travelling job.

In the beginning of this year, my wife informed me that, she was planning to travel to Australia for higher studies as she wanted to move ahead in her career and told me that if that materialises, she would want to take our son with her. I told her, we will see when that happens.

Now, about a month back, she sent me form on email, saying she needed my consent to apply for my son's visa to travel to Austraila with her as she had applied for a visa to travel to Australia for her studies. I refused to consent and even wrote to the Australian Immogration Authorities against granting such visa to my son, as no legal arrangements for child custody was there between me and my wife. My wife is going to study, and she says that as per the visa she has applied for in Australia, she can work also. I said that given, the profile she mentioned, she may  not have time to take care of the child and it would be better, if she went alone, leaving the child with me and upon her return, we could proceed for the child custody issue in the court of law.

Later on, after speaking with my family elders and wellwishers, I agreed to give her consent to take my son to Australia, on the condition that, the consent would be only for the period of her study (approximately 2 years) and that after her study period, she would return to India with our son. She agreed to that. I wrote back to the Australian Immigration authorities and withdrew my objection.

We also decided to finally file for divorce by mutual consent under the above conditions.

Today she sent me a draft petition received from her lawyer, wherein, it was mentioned that I was consenting to give her full custody of the child without any limitations and agreeing to have visitation rights. She also mentioned that for all visitations, I have to bear the costs even if it means, travelling overseas, if she chooses to stay back.

I do not mind giving her consent to travel with my son to Australia for 2 years. I would like to have joint custody of my child so that I can be a part of his growing up process. By this I mean, that my son can travel to India to be with me during his holidays and whenever possible, I can travel to meet him.

I would like to know, what are my rights as a father and what can I request and expect under Indian Law in this regard?

I also suspect that my wife has been in another relationship even before we separated. The recent example of this was, she took my son on a vacation for about a week, and the person with whom I suspect she has a relationship, also travelled with them. This was informed by my son, when he met me after the vacation and he also told me that all three of them stayed in the same room.

Now except for my son saying this, I have no evidence to the fact.that my wife is in another relationship, while still being legally married to me.

Would this constitute as adultery under Indian Marriage Law (given that we have been staying separate for 3 years) and can my son saying something about this, be taken as evidence during divorce proceedings.

If yes, what chances would I have for requesting for child custody and giving my wife visitation rights to my son?

Learning

3 Replies

Aazad Sufferer (Advocacy-Family and women oriented laws)     14 November 2013

Dear Jitesh,

No Maintenance,No custody of child and free divorce is the package from adulterous wife to an innocent husband.

1. If adultery is proved she can't claim alimony or maintenance.(here she is working so no problem)

2. You can fight the custody of your child on the basis that  wife is adulterous and her behaviour and character is not good for the upbringing the child.

3. Till divorce procedure will move another 2 years  , your child will attain 5 years,

automatically your custody claim on child will become more powerful after that......adding adultery a plus point.

4. You have got three grounds for divorce now

a. Desertion

b. Mental Cruelty(because she lied to you and have conducted breach of trust)

c. Offcourse adultery.

5. Contact a good divorce lawyer file for it simultaneously file GWA .

6. Always agree for MCD only when she gives you child custody on legal paper.

And not claim any alimony or maintenance from you.

The above suggestion is because Your case is a damn fit for all the three grounds and even adultery is not proved then make that adultery connection to mental cruelty as point already I have discussed.

Note: For more details you can read my thread where I have posted List of judgements on mental cruelty done by wife along with adultery grounds.

regards,

Join hand’s to fight against Misuse of Law, their Legal extortion & terrorism.

Group:https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/498asaviours

Email: everysuffererisasaviour@gmail.com

AND                                 

Blog:https://everysuffererisasaviour.blogspot.in/

The value of freedom is measured by the cost of struggle,If you need freedom then you have to become a fighter ….as no other option.

Have a Heart Foundation (Sales & Mktng)     15 November 2013

Kindly Check your PM

Have a Heart Foundation (Sales & Mktng)     15 November 2013

Kindly find herewith 'Child Access & Custody Guidelines' approved by Hon. Bombay High Court.

and can also download 'Parenting Plan' approved by Hon.Bombay High Court from the download section of website www.childrightsngo.com 

This will help you with Custody / Visitation Rights. 

Attached File : 768020222 child access & custody guidelines- book.pdf downloaded: 133 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register