Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Priya (Associate)     18 February 2015

Maintanence and child custody

Hi,

I am married for 4 years and 2 female kids out of this marriage. My husband did verbal and physical abuse after 1 month of my marriage. I was working in IT industory and had handsome salary. They were purely money minded and tried to get money from me. Even I did spend money and ultimately took all the financial burden on me. Due to his abuse nature and my mil was not ready to take care of my kids, I moved to my mothers home. My husband came and stayed with me. After my second kid, his behaviour was worsened too much and we were not in contact for a year. Last december he came to me and asked apologies for his mistakes. I did accept him but later realised that he is still the same. Two days before he beated my mom also. He asked his passport with my mom and she asked him to come by evening when am at home. For that he beated her.

I have filed case aganist him in police station and there was no action from them. A year before also when he beated me in street, I have filed complaint and they just asked him to write letter that he will not repeat this. But the samething is happening again and again.

Please let me know what i should do in this case. My father is not there only myself and kids are living with my mom. I dont have good financial background too.

I was working in IT and recently left the job to take care of my mom and kids. Still looking for job. I am engg graduate and he s from hotel management field. He was earning more than a lakh per month in ships. In all these 4 years he didnt even spend a single rupee for kids and me.

I need complete child custoday to me and maintanence for them. For this what i should do. Please guide.

Learning

5 Replies

kiran Pande (SSE)     18 February 2015

@Priya...I am little bit confuse here.

Problem is your husband is scorned person and because of this you are living with your monther.

Would you please anwer my questions

If you know he is not a good person, they why did not you filed for divorce?

In past, did he ask for child custody ? If yes why did you reject it?

Priya (Associate)     18 February 2015

@Kiran

Hi,

I am not ready to give him divorce until unless he settles for myself and kid. And that too I dont want to initiate it.

And he never asked for child custody and he never cares about them. They are currently living with me only. I want that to be a legal custody so that in future if at all i need to do anything for them (passport etc.,) I dont need his help.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     18 February 2015

I feel so sorry for this.  When he  had beaten you on the street and the police as usually did not take any action (as if husband has the birth right to beat the wife or it is a mutual matter between husband and wife), you should have filed domestic violence case against him.  Further, he manhandled your mother, she should have filed domestic violence case.  You  see, in such cases, the first thing what you have to do is to file a police complaint and after waiting one week and if you are not satisfied with the police action/inaction, you should engage an advocate and file domestic violence case in the court directly.  Under this Act, 1.  You can get mainteance for yourself and your children. 2.  Under this Act, you can have the custody of the children.  In your case, as both the children are girls and are below five years, you will get custody. For permanent custody, you can file custody case, but as the relief is available in domestic violence case, you need not take this recourse right now.  But note that if your husband files application for visitation rights, he will get visitation rights for some hours in a week.  But your advocate will ensure that neither yourself nor your mother do meet any rough handling in his hands during that visittion period. 

If you require any further clarification, you can contact me on 9868332610 between 5 to 6 PM.

Priya (Associate)     19 February 2015

@ChandraSekar Sir,  Thanks a lot for your reply.

Could you please clarify me on the below.

1. My husband has my previous employer payslip, Form16 etc., Am also looking for job now. So if he submits that will I get maintanence?

2. He is working in ships. So he will be in abroad from March to Nov. His take home salary is more than a Lakh. Howmuch my kids will be getting per month.

3. During his visitation if he raise hands to me or my mom what should i do. Again complaining in police is waste i guess bcz they are not taking any action.

4. How long this case will go I mean the time period.

Please help me on these queries.

Thanks.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     20 February 2015

1. My husband has my previous employer payslip, Form16 etc., Am also looking for job now. So if he submits that will I get maintanence?

As  at present you are unemployed, the documents he produce abour your previous employment will not effect your case for maintenance.  But you have to convince the court that you have been putting best efforts to get employment and not sitting idle to get maintenance.  For that, whenever you apply for a job, keep copies of those applications along with postal receipts, if those are sent by post or e-mail copies.  Even if you get job, if the salary earnings of your husband and yourself vastly differ and if you are not earning handsome, court may grant maintenance on the ground of change of life style after separation of the spouses.

2. He is working in ships. So he will be in abroad from March to Nov. His take home salary is more than a Lakh. Howmuch my kids will be getting per month.

Very good amoount, which may help you to tide over your financial distress.

3. During his visitation if he raise hands to me or my mom what should i do. Again complaining in police is waste i guess bcz they are not taking any action.

That is why, your advocate will take appropriate protection orders under Domestic Violence Act to provide safety to you, your mother and to you especially at workplace and on the streets.  The court has got the power under this Act to restrict him to such an extent that he should not be allowed even to have telephonic talk or email exchanges.  Any violation of court order, will put him behind the bars by your affidavit to such an extent in the same court.  So, he will not dare.

4. How long this case will go I mean the time period.

In both custody case and domestic violence case, interim relief provisions are there.  You can get them within 3 months from the date of serving of notice on the opposite party.  The case finally will be decided between two and half to three years.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register