Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

a   28 December 2015

Muslim divorce

Hello,

im a punjabi and got married to a muslim in 2008. there was a conversion, after which a nikah was performed by Qazi, and later the marriage was registered at the court.now i dont remember if the marriage was under the muslim act or the special marriage act as my husband has taken all the documents (marriage certificate, passport, viter card etc) from me and thrown me out of the house. i didnt approach the police because i didnt wanted to get involved in harrasment. he wants me to apply for a mutual divorce and doesnt want to pay any money as alimony to me. i had been not working and had no shelter or money to survive. i found a job now but still struggling to keep up with the expenses as Mumbai is an expensive city. i want a reconciliation with him but he is adamant for the divorce. i want to know am i liable to any alimony from him? 

Thanks 

Learning

3 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     28 December 2015

As the marriage was registered in court,UR marriage is very much valid according to law.U have every right to claim alimony from him,provided U have no means to live.But U say U are employed in Mumbai.If U desire to live with him,don't opt for MCD now,wait till he takes the first step.

a   28 December 2015

Thank u for the answer but There are certain details which I can't share on a public forum....how can I get in touch u...if u can give email address can explain u the details... Thanks

Anil Upadhyay (Lawyer)     29 December 2015

Registered marriage before court, is a valid proof according to law and it enable you to get all the rights, for which, a wife is eligible. You havn't disclosed the reasons, that why your husband wants to end up this relation and wants MCD. 

Whenever you will approach the court, your husband will contest and remember, if he has some proof against you, then it will effect your case adversely. As suggested above don't opt for Mutual Divorce and shall contest if you have enough proof.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register