Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sarvesh   06 September 2017

Name change on passport after special marriage performed

Hi,

I am hindu and my wife is muslim. We have certified our marriage under special marriage act and got the marriage certificate.

Now, the issue is, I want my wife's first name to be changed to new hindu name and last name to my last name. So how can I go ahead with this? All her documents like passport, pan card and adhaar card have her muslim name that needs to be changed. And do I need to change marriage certificate as well? Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Learning

6 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     06 September 2017

File this as grievance in online pgportal and seek their guidance.  (Passport office)

A name need not be changed unless you have such preferances.

KS Johal   06 September 2017

Yes the name change can take place without any difficulty but you need to follow the procedure. As my learned friend Advocate G.L.N. Prasad has suggested that you need to seek guidance from the passport office. All of the procedures will follow.

P. Venu (Advocate)     06 September 2017

Is the proposed name change with the informed consent of your wife? Has she convertd religion?

Sarvesh   06 September 2017

Thank you all for the help so far. She has no problem with this and we have mutually decided this after thinking a lot. She follows Hindu rituals since marriage but have not changed religion officially. Is there any need to change the religion legally as I think this is just a practice that we follow?

Moxit Shah   07 September 2017

You will have to approach advocate and your wife will have to make affidavit stating that her previous name _____ (Muslim Name). accordingly, on the basis of such name in all government records and Identity proof her name is written ___ and now she desires to change her name from ____ to new name. said affidavit is required to be notarised and thereafter it is required to be sent to State Gazette department to be published in government gazette (Government News Paper). after publishing in said gazette, you will get the copy of same and thereafter you will have to give copy of said gazette copy to every place where you desire to change the name of your wife. 

Sarvesh   07 September 2017

Thank you so much Mr. Moxit Shah

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register