LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sanjeev (prop)     10 February 2022

Name change on rent receipt

I have been living in a rented flat since my birth last 59 years. My father was the first tenant and after his demise my mother was the tenant. 
She died in 2005. I have been living with her before and after her death in the same flat. I have been paying the rent regularly by cash then cheque and now NEFT. 
The landlord is dead in 2008. Her legal heirs are refusing to change the name on the records as well as the rent receipts. I have given them the death certificate along name change letter two times in 2008.

Learning

2 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     10 February 2022

If you have intimated death by Regd post as a notice and asked them to change the name in rent receipts and if you are already having such receipts, do not worry about his giving receipts in the name of the dead.  Issue another formal notice stating the intimation of death dates of parents, and remind the landlord to issue receipts in the name of a real person who is occupying the property and remitting rent in such accepted mode.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     11 February 2022

You are in uninterferred and continueous possession of demised premises, is it necessary to substitute your name to your mother in rent receipt(s) as "tenant" till there is no objection from landlord ? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register