LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vinay Menon (Student)     17 October 2012

Possible rammifications of non payment of a phone bill

I used to work for a Montly Periodical, I owned an Airtel PostPaid Connection and right from the very first or second month, I never recieved the bills on time. I have called and coordinated and ensured the bills have come to me and also ensure that i pay the amount as told to me over the phone before the bills even arrived as a gesture of good will. Everything went well for a few months. Eventually perhaps it slipped my mine due to non recievement of bills, they disconnected my phone due to non payment. I was embarassed and was about to head out to clear the bill as soon as i recieved my next paycheque. The outstanding must have been withing the ball park of INR 7000, which was normal given my official call volumes. I recieved a call on my alternate number from a friend, she was crying, she said airtel collection agents had called her and harassed her, her family, me, my family and also issued threats. Infuriated, I approached the nearest Airtel office, told them the problem i am facing and asked them to accept my complaint letter, they politely refused, they said they shall escalate the matter but they are not authorized to sign my complain letter. In the mean time, many of my clients including celebrities and politicians recieved calls that aimed at hurting my reputation, eventually i stopped going to work.I was disgusted and i thought to myself, ill cross this bridge as it comes. I consulted a lawyer who said, i cannot pursue the case as none of teh calls were made to me, those offended could definately approach the court of law, but i, have no provisions in my favor. Am unemployed currently, pursing law. Today my Mother gets a call from a number, person allegedly a cop, asked her to call another number, allegedly a lawyer who asked for immediate payment within two hours and said the case has already been registered. I called back the lawyer asked for the case number, he denied, said, i should recieve it, he doesnt not wish to reveal it, then he corrected himself, said he does not have the information on him as he is in the highcourt. My family is insisting that i pay the bill, i do not want to, my sentiments have been hurt, my ego has been hurt and they have also threatened my sense of security. How do i proceed? At the worst i am willing to settle the bill at half the price, but i do not want to. Not only am i grossly incapable today, all thanks to them, i cannot live with myself if i payed somebody for doing a fine job of threatening my friends and family and dishonoring my name as it would be no different from extortion. Advice needed and this is an emergency.

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register