LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pooja (lecturer)     10 November 2013

Property grabbing by tenant

I am from Punjab. My grandfather had given a building on rent to different parties for running shops some 40-50 yrs ago on a rent of 40-100 rs per shop. These tenants have npt paid rent for last 15 years or so and now i've come to know that one of the tenants on those shops has grabbed the other area that does not even come under his tenancy and he has even locked the common passage and blocked our entry to the building. The local police is not supportive. How can i get my portion of the property back and can i evict these tenants and on what grounds?

Please advice at the earliest I am in dire need of help

Learning

4 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     10 November 2013

A tenant cannot become owner, the basic principle of law. You are required to issue notice to the tenant to pay arrears of rent, determine the tenancy and call upon the tenants to vacate the premises. The tenant shall  neither pay nor vacate, thereafter file petition for eviction. Engage a local lawyer.

pooja (lecturer)     10 November 2013

Please also advise us the basis on which we can file the complaint. Also can we ourselves remove the door in the passage or only through court

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     10 November 2013

As advised by Advocate Dr. Vashista, issue all of them with the legal notice demanding payment of entire arrears of rent till date and confirm their tenancy legally and then you can go ahead with an eviction suit.  In the said suit you can mention about the atrocities of the tenants namely blocking the public passage and other illegal activities.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     11 November 2013

No complaint is maintainable for eviction of the tenant.

Legally through court, otherwise........     

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register