LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Palash Mukherjee (Executive)     08 October 2012

Registered vs social marriage

I have been married for couple of months now. Although we as a couple have made a notice for registration, our marriage is not registered(final formalities have not been done). The consummation of the marriage was deliberately denied by my spouse repeatedly and on this ground i want to end the marriage. Has my present wife acquired any legal right at this point of time? Can i end this marriage by simply shooting a letter for termination of marriage on this ground from my end OR Do i actually need to approach the court for this purpose? Further, at this point of time, can i go for a registered marriage with some other woman since my present marriage has not actually been registered?

Learning

2 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     08 October 2012

1.       If two major age (18 years for female and 21 years for male) opposite s*x persons marry each other under their Personal Laws customs and traditions then the marriage is legal marriage in eyes of Law.

2.       It was only since 2006 Hon’ble SC laid guidelines for State to follow in terms of compulsory Registration of all Marriage was given. If spouses Register their marriage late then a small penalty (in terms of late fees) is there by few States and is not binding in other states (late fees I mean). That (late fees) you check locally.

3.       Here in facts before us the queriest says he is married which means he is not disputing his marriage. Then he says the marriage remained non-consummated. Further he challenges his own legal marriage saying it is not registered so he is eligible to shoot a termination letter to his wife and re-marry! I mean Sir, too late, only due to non-consumation ground of your marriage you have remedy available in Law.

4.       In reference to your last question on rights and liabilities, I would say the moment there is no denial of marriage by parties and non-consummation is not denied the meter of all rights and liabilities starts running as allegations-counter allegations and with witness / evidences a non-consumated marriage can be anulled.

Above being stark reality, now I am aware you have come here seeking some remedy. So basic harmonious remedy is always there;

A. Like gentlemen sit with her during one of these weekdays and tell her as "a friend" more than as a husband; I am really sorry to bring this across table, but I have realized I have lost charm in our marriage and I think I cannot pull along honestly here for long innings. You have no shortcomings. I have already consulted Lawyer and they suggest to holistically part–away.

B. Afterwards tell her, I now honestly offer to you part of my liver as full and final settlement to a Mutual Consent Divorce Decree, hence please think about our future  and give us gift of our freedom instead of we living a life of disharmony for us and for everyone associated with us thy name our social marriage. And can we come to some mid-way point on this proposal by weekend?

C. Then tell her, under non-conusmation of a marriage grounds faced by couples we can seek anullment Decree or under exceptional hardships ground we can even approach for Mutual Consent Divorce Decree and we can offcourse remain ‘just’ friends afterwards. Also tell her, you know I discussed non-consumation part with your parents and with my parents / friends so they will vouch for it coming voluntarily to witness box to give evidences when such need arise !   

So now what is your next question going to be (if any) .....? 

Pradeep (Advocate)     09 October 2012

Dear Mr Palash,

Among HIndus, as soon as marriage has been solemnised, it becomes an irreversible process. The non-registration of marriage does not invalidate the marriage. So, you can not step out of the wedding knot by simply sending a Notice to your wife and you will have to move to Court to seek its shelter for anulling the marriage tie.

Secondly, no marriage dissolution petition can be presented nor normally entertained by the Court if One Year has not elapsed from the date of marriage.

So, please try to resolve the problem by discussing the matter with your wife and dont be panic and never take any decision in such a hasty manner.

Still you can consult me at PradeepKrAdvocate@gmail.com

-Pradeep Kumar, Advocate

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register