Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manjinder Singh (Director)     08 May 2012

Transfer of land in punjab to nri

Hi all,

Got a query; my father passed away recently, and we have a small piece of land in Punjab under his name.

We wanted to have this transferred to the names of my mother, my brother and me.

However, we are all British Citizens. My mother has a PIO card (persons of indian origin), but my brother and I were born in the UK.

Can anyone help with how we go about getting this transferred. We have family in India who can carry the documents to the relevant office, but none of us are sure what documents we need to send.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

M Singh

Learning

6 Replies

SARVPREET SINGH GURNA (Advocate)     08 May 2012

Dear Mr. Singh,

With reference to your querry on getting the land transferred/mutated in the name of the persons mentioned, you shall need as a primary requirement the death certificate of your father or his Will (if any). Subsequently, you shall be required to approach the concerned office of property records, if it is urban property. However, since you mention it is a 'piece of land', it is presumably  rural property. In such case, you shall be required to approach the Patwari (revenue officer) of the area that the piece of land falls in. On making a written or even an oral representation before the officer concerned, a pedigree table of your family shall be prepared and the land shall be transferred in the names of the heirs of your father. It must be noted here that the land shall be transferred in the names of all legal heirs, if your father did not execute any Will. If there is a Will, then the succession will follow the contents/terms set out in the Will. Thereafter, mutation entries in revenue records shall be automatically given effect to by the reveune authorities and the names of the persons in whose favour the land is transferred shall be shown in the record of rights or jamabandi.

Sarvpreet Singh Gurna

Advocate

Ph:07508677307

1 Like

Manjinder Singh (Director)     09 May 2012

Mr. Gurna,

Thanks very much for your help. It's very good and kind of you to reply back so quickly. 

Would you mind if I called you on the phone number below for a quick chat? 

I would really appreciate your time. 

Thanks

Manjinder Singh

jjlisting (student)     10 May 2012

If I were you I would personally go from the Uk, and get this done in person and not trust any relatives or friends. There is a lot of property fraud going on in India and especially Punjab with NRI properties. The fact that your are NRI has little relevance in ownership of inherited property. The land prices have skyrocketed in some parts of Punjab and India in general. There is a HIGH risk that unless you take care of it yourself it will be grabbed by what are called the land mafia or unscrupulous relatives  or land squaters, in which case by the time you find out and try to do something about it legally you will be embroiled in the India courts for DECADES as my family has been. Then you will be paying lawyers in India who may be just as untrustworthy and pay them till you are broke because the judiciary system in India is so backed up. ALthough, luckily,  the state of Punjab does have  an NRI office and a fast tack court set up just for NRIs.  If you and your immediate family are not going to settle in India at all, I would urge you to just sell it at the market value (again you will have to be sure you are getting the most accurate info...there are a lot of "middlemen" who will low ball you and get money in the black market). Please take my advice, we are from the UK too and have been duped in the worst of ways with our property in India.  It is my mission to save unsuspecting and innocent people from such heartache in their lives. A plane fare is cheaper than having a decades long case in the India courts where everyone else will be getting richer off you  whilst you are getting poorer.

1 Like

SARVPREET SINGH GURNA (Advocate)     11 May 2012

Mr. Singh,

You are welcome to contact me on 07508677307.

regards

Sarvpreet Singh Gurna

Advocate

1 Like

Manjinder Singh (Director)     16 May 2012

Good afternoon Mr. Gurna,

I tried to call you on the number youu suggested, but it was not going through. Am i right in assuming its a UK mobile, or do i need another country code.

Sorry to bother you.

Thanks

Manjinder Singh

SARVPREET SINGH GURNA (Advocate)     21 May 2012

Mr. Singh,

Pardon the inconvenience; my phone developed a minor snag, it's all sorted now though. No, it is not a UK mobile; this is a number in Inida (Chandigarh, Punjab, more specifically). Therefore, you shall need to affix the code for India (00+91+). You could contact me anytime now. I am sure we will have a fruitful conversation.

P.S. kindly have an alternate no. as well, if at all required: 09814708762.

regards

SARAVPREET SINGH GURNA

Advocate

mobile: 7508677307

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register