LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     17 July 2011

Whatever they do,Indian mother inlaws HAVE TO BE respected..

SIRSA: Gender inequality took a ghastly turn at a Haryana village when a woman allegedly killed her seven-month-old granddaughter by throwing her into a burning tandoor after thrusting an onion into her mouth. 

Family dispute was stated as the reason behind the killing. The police have arrested the 50-year-old Surja Devi in Bazigar Ther village of Sirsa district. A local court on Thursday remanded her in judicial custody for 14 days. 

The baby girl, Pooja, went missing on June 20. The local police registered a complaint against an unidentified person on the complaint of her father, Gurdeep Singh. Pooja's badly charred body was recovered near the house the same day. 

Police said Surja admitted to her crime. "She hid the body inside the house but later disposed it of outside," said SHO Jagdish Joshi. 

"Surja Devi had an old enmity with Jogender Singh, father of her daughter-in-law. On June 17, there was a heated argument between Jogender and Surja over a family issue. Surja wanted to take revenge and hence killed the baby," said Joshi. 

The police produced Surja before reporters. She said:

"Meri beti ki shadi mere bahu ke baap ne karwayi thi aur woh dukhi the, to maine bhe uski beti ko tandoor me jala kar mar dala (the father of my daughter-in-law had arranged marriage of my daughter. But my daughter was unhappy. As a revenge, I I killed his daughter's baby)." 

Condemning the incident, Jagmati Sangwan, vice president of All India Democratic Women Association (AIDWA), said: "In such cases, girls are seen as a burden on families due to the dowry factor. Moreover, security of girls has also become a cause for concern for parents due to increasing incidents of crime against women."

Learning

6 Replies

Ms Liberal (others)     17 July 2011

The severe punishment to be imposed on grandmother as well as to the husband of the bride

HP (NA)     17 July 2011

The killing of the infant is unjustified, but is husband linked to the crime, No. Ms. Liberal is of the view that if she kills or fights with anybody, then along with Ms. Liberal, her father or Husband should also get punished. This is what the interpretation of Ms. Liberals comment, please comment if I am wrong.

Ritesh (.)     17 July 2011

I THINK SEVERE PUNISHMENT SHOULD BE IMPOSED TO GRANDMOTHER BUT NOT HER FATHER..

Ms Liberal (others)     17 July 2011

It appaers that father (girl's husband) is not linled with the killing of the Baby girl so he may not be tried under this offence but its written that the bride has been illtreated at the home of husband and in laws then common intention may prevail

Ravinder Kumar (Account Director)     17 July 2011

@Ms. Liberal: Sad Yaar..Take a chill pill, plzz..

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     20 July 2011

Criminal offence punishable under IPC is an act by a human against a human. Punishment should be same for men and women. Anyone who snatches away the fundamental rights of any other human being and hinders the fundamental right to freedom should be punished severly irrespective of gender.

A criminal act is against society and the arbitrary grounds that the accused is a woman should be outrightly rejected by the courts while dealing such cases.

//peace

/Saurabh..V

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register