Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

prajapatidb497   12 June 2015

Wife is ready for one time alimony. advice on divorce

Dear Legal Experts,

I need your advice.

My wife filed Criminal case (498A & other IPCs) in session court, IPC127 in family court & DV. all three cases are going on since 2010. Only IPC125 maintenance case is disposed off. Now, she is ready for the one time full & final settlement. the full & final settlement amount has been decided among our caste elders of mine as well as from her side. 

Now please advice how to get divorce & how to pay settlement amount so that it is assured that i get divroce and she accepts the money and do not cheat on me by nt giving divoice even after taking money of settlement. I do not trust them as there are possiblities that my in-laws take money of one time settlement and then do not give me divorce. I want to know the process that assures divorce as well as stop my in-lawys from cheating on me by taking money. 

Thanking You

Learning

3 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     12 June 2015

Do one thing get refer the case to mediation  there you both can file a compromise petition in the pending divorce case.  Put a condition to withdraw all the criminal cases filed against you.  Everthing can be settled in the pending divorce case.

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     12 June 2015

Mediation or otherwise, however you choose to get your mutual consent divorce, make sure of the following: 

• The settlement is Court-approved. 
  • Tere are provisions in the settlement which specifically state that both parties have sought legal advice, have entered into the settlement on their free will and also sought advice from elders.  Have at least two of her elders sign as witnesses.
  • One time alimony should be properly worded.  Make sure that there is language in the settlement that she has received fair value for any and all rights she may have or accrue in the future against you.  Furthermore, that any changes in circumstances in the future does not entitle her to demand more maintenance and/or for you to seek any refund from her.  
  • State that both parties agree that the reason for the divorce is irreconciliable differences and no other reason.
  • State expressly that within xx days, wife shall withdraw all pending cases against you and that within xx days of the withdrawal of the cases you shall pay her the one-time alimony of Rs..... 
  • State expressly that if the wife files any case in the future against you for any reason whatsoever  violates any provision in the settlement, then you are unconditionally entitled to the refund of the alimony plus interest @15% plus penalty of Rs. xxxx. 
  • Demand that wife not use your surname in any matters in the future and that she will change her surname within xxx days of the signing of the agreement in all official records, including but not limited to bank records, passport, employment, etc.... this way you do not have to file a separate proceeding for this.

Add provisions to protect her too so that it does not sound one-sided. For example, that you agree never to contact her in the future for any reason whatsoever. That you shall return all her belongings (list them) upon signing of the agreement, that you....

Remember that a one-sided contract is not easy to enforce. Besides, she should feel comfortable that she is getting something reciprocal for whatever she is agreeing to...

... I can keep going on.. but you get the point... Think of all the bad things she can do in the future and write provisions in the agreement to prevent her from doing so and have proper remedies in place in the agreement itself. Then think of all her concerns and try to put them in the agreement too... 

if she has no malafide intentions she will agree to the provisions. Get as many witnesses from her side as possible on the agreement... 

MAKE THE AGREEMENT A WIN-WIN PROPOSITION. BOTH OF YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY TO SIGN IT. THATS THE KEY. DO NOT TRY TO SHORT-CHANGE HER.  DO NOT HAVE MALAFIDE INTENTIONS YOURSELF EITHER.

saravanan s (legal advisor)     12 June 2015

go for mutual consent divorce where you can workout a mou with your wife on different t aspects like one time alimony, child custody, sreedhan recovery etc.in the mou also specify that the one time settlement would be made before the judge at the time of second motion and all the cases that your wife had filed on you must also be withdrawn before the second motion of mcd.also mention that she is agreeing that she wont file any case against you in the future.workout this mou with the help of a lawyer.

if you work out a proper mou and get mcd she cant ask for any maintenance in future and also if at all she files any false case you can get the fir quashed by showing the mou in the high court u/s 482 crpc

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register