LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pratik (self working)     24 February 2011

Witness turns hostile.

1) gdefence means what also the meaning of defence in civil & criminal cases & meaning of hostile witness , Unfavourable witness if possible with the help of a example.

2) Defination of Written Statement by the Defendant . Advantages & Disadvantages

Written Statement by the Defendant & Written Statement by the Plantiff in any cases or Affidavit filed by the Defendant or by the Plantiff what will be the major difference which one will be more important in it. Also can any body tell me in which cases a party has a right to file a Written Statement or he has to file complusory Written Statement & the affidavit is not excepteable or not allowed. Also i have heard that when a Written Statement is submitted than affidavit is not required and if the affidavit is submitted than Written Statement is not required i need a hole inforamtion of Written Statement when to file who can file how can objective it what are the court has the powers and the judge has the powers when a Written Statement has been filed at what stage the Written Statement should be filed complusory and if filed is more benefial to the party (in short ever thing about the Written Statement & the affidavit which one is more useful). AS per which section or any case laws the above mentioned info i will get or it says.

PLS TELL ME THE MEANING & ANSWER OF THE QUERY.Pls Pls Pls.

Thanks In Advance.

God Bless U All.

Learning

1 Replies

(Guest)

Hello Pratik

Written statement means the defence of the defendent. It is the written reply of the defendent to the plaint which is file by the plaintiff. Order Viii of CPC deals with written statement. Rule 1 of Order is as follow

1. Written statement—  The defendant shall, at or before the first hearing or within such time as the Court may permit, present a written statement of his defence.

[(2) Save as otherwise provided in rule 8A, where the defendant relies on any document (whether or not in his possession or power) in support of his defence or claim for set-off or counter claim, he shall enter such documents in a list, and shall, —

(a) If a written statement is presented, annex the list to the written statement :

Provided that where the defendant, in his written statement, claims a set-off or makes a counter-claim based on a document in his possession or power, he shall produce it in Court at the time of presentation of the written statement and shall at the same time deliver the document or copy thereof to be filed with the written statement;

(b) If a written statement is not presented, present the list to the Court at the first hearing of the suit.

(3) Where any such document is not in the possession or power of the defendant, he shall, wherever possible, state in whose possession or power it is.

(4) If no such list is so annexed or presented, the defendant shall be allowed such further period for the purpose as the Court may think fit.

(5) A document which ought to be entered in the list referred to in sub-rule (2), and which is not so entered, shall not, without the leave of the Court, be received in evidence on behalf of the defendant at the hearing of the suit.

(6) Nothing in sub-rule (5) shall apply to documents produced for the cross-examination of plaintiff's witnesses or in answer to any case set up by the plaintiff subsequent to the filing of the plaint, or handed over to a witness merely to refresh his memory.

(7) Where a Court grants leave under sub-rule (5), it shall record its reasons for so doing and no such leave shall be granted unless good cause is shown to the satisfaction of the Court for the non-entry of the document in the list referred to in sub-rule (2).]

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register