LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raam Kasam   02 April 2024

Re sale of penthouse

Hi I have a penthouse with terrace. When I purchased the flat in 2010 from them builder. The terrace has been marked in the agreement to be exclusively used by me and no other members of the society are allowed or can raise objection to it. But the terrace is not included in total square feet.

Even though on the registered agreement builder has marked the terrace which can only be accessed from our flat but in BMC agreement this is marked as it can be acessed from common passage.

Recently after 14 years of possession of the flat and terrace i plan to sell me flat.    Can Society take objection and claim the terrace? All the electric points of the said terrace are from my flat. Even all maintenance and repair for the same have been done by me.

Learning

4 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     02 April 2024

Don't you have a registered sale deed on your name.

Are you owning the property just by an agreement?

If so you cannot sell the property without clear and marketable title to your name.

If you have a registered sale deed on your name then go through the document and confirm if the penthouse and the terrace is a part of the property sold to you by this registered sale deed.

If yes then the society cannot raise any objection against selling the property as found in the sale deed.

1 Like

Raam Kasam   02 April 2024

Sir. Registered sales deed is in my name. In the deed terrace is mentioned as to be used exclusively by me and not other flats. But in the registered deed the total square feet area is only for the flat area without the terrace. In registered sales deed the terrace is marked as part of my flat. But in BMC map nothing is marked as such.

From last 14 years no one has objected to this. But If I sell the flat then can any member object and stop the transfer

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     02 April 2024

The BMC map is not the authority.

If your sale deed is containing the words that the terrace is part of the property then you can very well sell the property as found in the sale deed. 

Since everyone knows that the terrace is under your property, no one can object you sellig the terrace along with your flat to the prospective buyer, if anyone does, you can challenge them in the court of law. 

Aadil (Student)     18 May 2024

Dear Raam Kasam,

Thank you for your query! I am Aadil and I will try to answer your question.

The short answer for your question will be NO, the society cannot raise any objection and claim the said terrace.

As long as the registered sale deed that granted you the ownership of the said property specifically mentions your ownership over the terrace, the Municipal Corporation cannot raise any objection if you may choose to sell the property.

It must be noted that if by any chance the BMC owns the terrace, then you cannot sell it and cannot claim ownership over it through the law of adverse possession as you will have to reside on the land for over thirty years to claim the same.

This is because although to claim the law of adverse possession over a private land you need to reside in it for only 12 years, but to claim the same for government land, the time period is thirty years.

I hope this helps. Thank you for your time and patience!

Regards,

Aadil

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register