Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pankaj (Consultant)     15 November 2012

Money recovery suite

Dear Sir,

2 years back, I had an memorandum of agreement with an developer for purchase of 2 acres land 100 kms near  Pune worth 5 lacs.

We are total 7 people in numbers

According to the MOU,we were paid 2.5 lacs initial at the time of agreement

1,50,000 rupees to be paid in 3 installments and remaining 1 lac at the time of posession

We have paid in form of cheque

We paid 2.5 lacs and out of 1.5 lacs,we paid 1 lacs.

All amount is paid by cheque

The remaining 50,000 we were trying to contact the developer but this developer started avoiding us.We were giving him the amount as per MOU but he was not interested.

After 3 months,he called us at his place and told that this MOU cannot be done further and he left 3 choices for us

1) purchasing a land at different place

2) Purchasing land at his other project but at different cost

3) Refund of money

Whatever the developer told was in verbal

We all decided for opting refund and told him about our decission

From here,he avoided us by telling reasons like he will refund money tomorrow/next week /out of station hence will see after he is back etc

This avoidance continued for 8 months and one fine day,he sent us an notice written by himself and not from any lawyer that "According to one clause,we have not paid the last installment of 50,000 rupees for nearly 8 months and thus on this basis this MOU has been cancelled and as per the clause in MOU,the developer reserves right to return only 50% of money paid by us or he can also forefeit all our money paid"

We filed a case in police hoping that something will be done.Initially we got assuarance from poilce that it is a cheating case and we will do all thing. But to my surprise when police met that person,police sent a letter at our house that we have unnecessicarily troubled the police.It is a civil court matter and hence police advised us to go to court.

I have come to know about Money recovery suite.We have just 1 year left for filing it

Is money recovery suite good option or something other option is there?

This person lives in Pune but the house is owned by his father in law and his wife,there is no record of his property nearby Pune. 

So far we know about Money recovery suite is that

Initially that person has to pay us a some amount which he owes to us and after that only he can challenge us in court.Is it true?

Hoping for help from you

Pankaj

Learning

3 Replies

surjit singh (Assistant)     15 November 2012

First of all the amount of 50,000/- was the last instalment to be given at the time of posession.  As you say there is no record of having any land near pune by the developer on the date of MOU, so it is a pure case of cheating. When they are having no land on how they would have given possession. Reply to the notice you have received by a legal notice from an advocate asking them thata you have been cheated and so if they did not return your money immediately you are going to initiate criminal as well as crivil suit for recorvery.

First go for a suit for recovery of the money with interest and cost. and along with that also file a criminal case against the developer becasue at the time of entering into the MOU they were having no land at pune as you say.

Now for filing a Money Suit you have to deposit an amount of court fee (i.e. advolerum fee) which is near about 10% of the amount you are going to claim in the suit, which defers from state to state. You can check out from the chart for the court fee.  Any delay in acting will be adverse against your interest.

Pankaj (Consultant)     16 November 2012

Thankyou Mr Surjit

This developer doesnt have purchased land mentioned in MOU.

We came to know that he collected money from us and purchased a land somewhere else and started his project and he expected that instead of land mentioned in MOU,we all should purchase the land in that project.

To the notice from developer,we have issued him a legal notice related with recovery suite.

But for recovery suite,I want to ask a different query.

So far I know,one lawyer told me that the developer has to pay us some amount if he has to challenge the case in court.Is it true?

If it is true,then it is a point to proceed further with an recovery suite because atleast some of the money hard earned by use will be returned by the developer to us and further whatever time the court takes to give decission,there will be no problem because since we have paid the developer in form of cheque,we are sure to get all our money whatever time court will take.

But our matter is that will we get some initial amount from the developer when the recovery suite is filed in court andthe remaining amount when decission is in our favour

Thanks and regards

Pankaj

surjit singh (Assistant)     16 November 2012

No at the initial stage of filing there is no possibility of payment being made by the developer, it all depends on the admission of the develolper. If the developer admits that the money has been paid to them then only the court can give some interim order for payment. IT MAY HAPPEN THAT THE DEVELOPER MAY OUT OF PRESSURE OF CRIMINAL CASE STARTS PAYING YOU SOME MONEY IN INSTALMENT.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register