LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anonymus (Student)     19 August 2024

My wife is threatening me to leave my parents

It was complete arrange marriage setup.we have got my wife's alliance from the matrimony. we met their family , in the first meet they said that the girl was got skid from her scooty and she has a little wound scar on her elbow joint (right hand )which is not vanished. She did show me the scar, and conveyed the same it is just a wound scar .  we all (our family ) thought its just a smal wound and we said it is fine, no issues.

Both of our families were ok.

We both got married in April of this year. girls parents gave 200 grams gold  gold as gift for her  , and they gave 20 grams or me as gift. 

We (groom family ) kept 40 grams of gold to her as gift from our side( mangalsutra and all which she wears everyday) .these were the talkings and match was ok and got married .

We came back home on evening , after the wedding was done . The next day we had to visit girl's home as marriage rituals . That day itself she hid all her gold ( which her parrents gave her ) , we never asked that's fine, me or my family never asked her about it ! 

The very next day we came back to our home (groom's) and we are here. Actually we are ivung in an apartment flat which is of 2bhk , and we are a family of 5 members, i ahve younger brother and sister, My parents took one more portion for rent in the same building (apartment) for us ( me n my wife ) to stay and to have our own privacy . 

From the very next day of our marriage , my wife started telling me that we shall stay some where else  in some other area away from here, not in this apartment, i kept quiet , i dint say anything.

My wife was there for 2 days (at that time i found out that her  hand wound scar is not a small wound and that is elbow joint fracture , i also found out that she cannot raise her hand  even, she can rise only till her shoulder itself ,  and she uses only left hand to do all things to eat , to drink water , to sue mobile, she does not  even have grip for her right hand )   after 2 days,she said , she was missing her parents ,mother, father , she went back to parents house , she did not came back for 20 days , though we continously called and messaged her .

She came back after 20 days,  she was quiet for one day , the next she started arguing with me that we shall cook separately , we should not eat what your mother cooks blah blah etc, i dint say anything , the next day when my mother came down ( to our portion )to talk to me , my wife intentionally and deliberately started fight , she argued and shouted very loudly that i shall not send my husband to you , she immidiately called her parents and she left to her home ! 

after three days of this arguement , my wife parents and her relatives (approx 12 members) came to our apartment and they knocked each and every flat door in the whole apartment and said to each and every one that my mother asked my wife to being dowry of 1 crore , they blamed that my mother has slapped my wife with slipper . Yet (my mother didnot ask anything nor did beat her) They are all simply  came , to make false allegations on my mother . whoever has come it was recorded in CC cams of our apartment !

They all left , after some 2 weeks , my wife mesaged me saying "Do you have intention of giving divorce ? " , i said ,NO.

she asked me to meet outside , as per my family suggestion i met her , she was askinge to coe out of the family ! i said it is not possible , i might move to banglore , as WFH might end by this december, she said she shall try to change her job or some other option. 

(my wife job place is some 45 kms away from our house. and mine is WFH)

after we both met outside , she spoke to me well for some few days , after that i found that she is just acting recording my calls to have as proof and asking some silly and irrelevant questions. 

I stopped responding her, its been one month i amswered her calls and messages !  Now she and her family are calling and texting me and my parents and threatening that we demanded dowry of 1 crore and she shall file for divorce and demand alimony of 1 crore ! 

after enquiring about my wife's family after this fight, we found out that 90% of couples in their family side are divorced !

Today , my wife and her mother her uncle were calling me , my father and my sister and warning  us ! they asking me to come out and stay separately away from my family , the girl family just making false allegations that i promised to girl personally that i shall live away from my parents and get separated as soon as we get married . But in the first place , i never made a promise nor told her that is shall do that !  

To avoid all this arguements and disputes , my family told me to go back to my job palce that is bangalore , i tols this to my wife , even she is not ok with that also ! she wants me to resign my job and find job here in my home town and live separately only with her(my wife) near her work place . These are their demands! if i shall not do this they are warning and threatening us that they shall file a divorce petition ! 

And my concern is , my wife , she in the first place , her right hand is not well , when  she cant even do her works properly , how can she look after me ? Also my parents both are aged 55+ , my father is heart patient, and i have  younger siblings to look after, and i have my own responsibilities ! 

She and her family are simply making false allegations that we asked for 1 crore dowry , now she says that , i shall  file for divorce and ask 1 crore of alimony ,  she says we know what to do , what not to do , we will see your end , they are saying all these things . Today she called and confirmed that she shall not return and going to file the case against me and my family !

Me and my family decided that we cannot bear with this dangerous girl and her family , so we decided to get rid of her .

Please suggest me how to resolve this issue , we dint even took a penny from their family , inturn we only kept gold for her as gift , now she and her family are threatening us , with all these ,

can she really claim alimony ? we never mistreated , never demanded money nor anything , on what basis can divorce be given ? She is so confident that she shall file a case and get alinony , seems that she and her family are so desperate about alimony money rather than settling the  disputes in marriage.

Please let me know what rights she has ? should i really have to give her alimony in this regard ?

They cheated us regarding her right hand , her hand is just there it doesnt work even, can i file a petition as cheating on her ? 

Learning

4 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     19 August 2024

The petition for cheating is not maintainable at this stage because you were informed about her defect before marriage hence this cannot be construed as an act of cheating besides this is not a vital issue that hinders the marriage or it a material for marriage that was suppressed.

You have to look for some other grounds for divorce, besides you cannot file the divorce case within ione year from the date of marriage.

If she is demanding huge money as alimony you can simply refuse because she is also employed and is having  a handsome salary income to sustain her expenses. 

Anonymus (Student)     19 August 2024

Thanks for your response sir, but i never wanted to dissolve marriage in the first place , nor i wanted to file a case . I and my family tried every possible way to resolve it yet  She herself doesnt want to come back and now warns me and my family.  

Though me and my family pleaded her to come back and her family to send her back , they refused from April to till now , we are fed up with their false allegations. So we left the decision to her and her family.

Kindly , please clarify this one small doubt sir, when she & her family was talking about the alimony money, we picked a point that we've never demanded nor taken any dowry. 

They were highlighting that , we spent money on the wedding expenses we will get back all the money , we know every possible way to get that expenses and alimony as well.

(Note : girl is govt contract employee and both her parents are govt employees , yet in my family only iam employed both my parents are unemployed and old aged, in simple terms , their family status is higher compared to mine.)

sir, as u have said that i can simply refuse alimony if she demands.

DOUBT: Can u pls let me know will i have to pay them wedding expenses if they demand or provide proofs of expenses beared?

This is the only doubt i have , yet we are  ready to pay that even if they demand , 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     19 August 2024

If she demands the marriage expenses, you can inform her that you are ready to 50%only because she also is responsible for ruining your life in the name of marriage.

Anonymus (Student)     20 August 2024

My doubts got cleared immidiately , Thank you so much for your kind response sir. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register