LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amu (Nil)     20 October 2024

Questions on divorce settlement: claiming gifts and wedding expenses

My wife and I wants to file a mutual consent divorce after 12 years of marriage. While I've agreed to return her streedhan (gold, silver items, utensils, and cash gifted by both our families), she is also claiming gifts and expenses that go beyond this. Specifically, she is demanding:

• Gold that was gifted to me during our marriage.
  • Cash for gifts given to my family members at the wedding like clothes and food items.
  • Reimbursement for wedding-related expenses, which were largely decided by her family, including venue and catering costs.
  • Cash for utensils she brought, despite my willingness to return all the utensils or pay for any missing or broken items.

My questions are:

1. Can she legally claim gifts that were given to me and my family?
  2. Can she demand cash in lieu of the utensils, even though I am ready to return them or compensate for any damage?
  3. Can she ask for reimbursement of wedding expenses, especially since those decisions were primarily made by her family?

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 October 2024

1. It is 12 years old marriage hence the items gifted more than a decade ago may not be available, if it is available then better return it.

2. As far as the utensils are concerned you can refuse to compensate with cash because it was used by both during your 12 years old married life hence you can inform her accordingly.

3. If you cannot or don't want to reimburse that money at this stage after 12 years you can refuse.

There's no law forcing you to accept these liabilities towards her.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register