Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vivek sr   23 July 2024

Hand loan claim by son

Hi, I wanted to know, can a son 18 years and above, claim the hand loan given by father through a bank transfer, if in case father is no more, and we have the cheques given by the borrower. 

Learning

9 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     23 July 2024

if in case the father is no more?  At present he is alive and why if, is it an academic query?  You have any problem, state the full facts.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     24 July 2024

No one, including son, can claim hand loan, it has to be requested to avail loan.

The amount transferred by father to his adult son is recoverable from his legal heirs, if they prefer a claim for the loan amount on the basis of cheque issued by borrower son.  

Facts vis-a-vis query is vague and incomplete.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     24 July 2024

You could not clarify facts.

vivek sr   24 July 2024

Hi, I think my question was not understood clearly, so i'm rephrasing my question. What I wanted to know was if my Father had given a loan to his friend, And his friend had given us the PDC cheques and in case if my father is no more, can I use those cheques and recover my father's loan.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 July 2024

If the cheque ws given on the name of your deceased father then you may not be able to encash the same 

However you can very well issue a legal notice to the borrower to settle the loan amount or to issue a fresh cheque in the name of the legal heirs of the deceased or all the legal heirs can file a suit for recovery if the borrower refuses to return the amount 

1 Like

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     25 July 2024

On the strength of dishonoured cheque drawn in favour of your deceased father you (with other LRs of your father) can recover the amount by filing a recovery suit .

However, a complaint u/s 138 NI Act, 1881 shall not be maintainable.

1 Like

vivek sr   25 July 2024

Thank you for your reply Advocate Kaliselvan and Dr. Vashista, truly aprreciate your reply.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     25 July 2024

You are welcome for your appreciations

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     31 July 2024

Now you have clear facts.

The cheque is prima facie evidence of debt. But the defendent may be taking excuse that this was not a loan and you need maerialto counter this. You can move ahead if the cehque is not more than3 years old.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register