LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kaushik Biswas (Management Staff)     11 January 2011

What should be done for extending my tenancy?

Hi,

I am staying at 10000/- per month with Leave and License agreement of 11 months with my landlord for an apartment in Salt Lake, Kolkata. The agreement was supposed to expire in 31st January, 2011. When I went to pay the rent for month of December, landlord has agreed to extend the agreement for another year with 11,000/- per month rent.

In December, some repair person entered our rented premises without any notice to us. We were forced to let them work without any early notice. As a result, we have written a letter to our landlord to give us early notice for such work. Also, we have communicated some of the issues that we are facing staying in the apartment.

In end of December one registered post arrived, which contains the notice to vacate the rental premises by 31/1/2011. Landlord also declared to adjust January's rent from security deposit.  She has expressed that some of her family members would return and she need the apartment for renovation.

As per the West Bengal tenancy act, we know that she can take possesion of the said apartment on emergency basis. However, we know, she stays in a big house in Salt Lake which is within 2KM from the our apartment and in the same municipality.

We need to stay for another year before our apartment is ready in nearby area. However, this unfortunate eviction notice is causing us both financial trouble and other living arrangements. Is there any ways to delay this eviction notice so that we could get enough time to move out after finding out appropriate house? Please help me, since I have never given a single late payment in 33 months relation with this landlord and tried to well behaved with all the rules and regulations with this apartments.

Best regards,

Kaushik

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register