LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harshit Malhotra   01 July 2024

Arya samaj marriage

What are some significant case laws in India that uphold the validity of Arya Samaj marriages, focusing specifically on the legality of the marriage itself rather than the validity of marriage certificates issued by Arya Samaj institutions?

Learning

4 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     01 July 2024

The arya samaj marriage certificate is not a valid document under the International law. A marriage certificate which is issued by the Sub-registrar is the only valid document. If the parties are both Hindus, an Arya Samaj marriage could be registered under the Hindu Marriage Act at the respective office

n June this year, the Supreme Court had ruled that Arya Samaj cannot issue marriage certificates. While hearing a bail application of a man accused of kidnapping and raping a minor, the apex court refused to accept a marriage certificate issued by the Arya Samaj as proof.

Harshit Malhotra   01 July 2024

Thank you for your reply, but I think there's been a misunderstanding. I'm not asking about Arya Samaj marriage certificates or their validity. I'm specifically looking for case laws that confirm the validity of Arya Samaj marriages themselves.

The information you provided focuses on certificates, but I'm interested in court cases that say Arya Samaj marriage ceremonies are legally valid when performed correctly.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     02 July 2024

The certificate issued by Arya Samaj Mandir for solemanisation of a marriage is valid for registration before Registrar of Marriages u/s 8 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, but not solo (at its own strength).

However, such marriage is valid and legal.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     03 July 2024

We don't supply judgments here, if you are keen to know about the relevnt judgments then you can browse through internet or consult your lawyer on this 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register