Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

suresh (software engineer)     30 May 2011

Birth Right on Ancestral Property

(a)
Ancestral Property is a property that has remained unpartitioned in the family for 4 generations
Any property that has devolved to a person which actually belonged to his father, grand father & great grand father is the ancestral property,
In simple word if a person holds a property which from his great grand father came in his hand down the line will be considered an ancestral property.

(b)
As per HSA section 6,
When a son (daughter also after HSA 2005) is born to a male Hindu holding Ancestral property -> father + son entitled jointly and equally all rights over the property

Based on (a) and (b),

Great Great Grand Father  -> self acquired property "X"
|
Great Grand Father
|
Grand Father
|
Father                                 -> Now, father is said to be holding an ancestoral property X
|
Son, Daughter                  -> has "birth" right on X (Father, Son, Daughter equally share right on X)

So Son / Daughter has BIRTH right on unpartitioned Paternal Great Great Grand Father's self acquired property --> does this single line statement holds good ??

What does Great Great Grand Father has self acquired property X means ?
- purchased X by his own labor
- Inheried X as its heir
- Got X via will
- Got X as a share being one of the coparcener becomes his self acquired property after the partition
- Got X by "birth right" on his father's ancestral property after partition. This one is like "recursion" back to 10 generations :-)

Can the experts give me green signal of my understanding ?

Thanks,
Suresh

Learning

3 Replies

seshadri vikrala ( Asst.Security Commissioner/Group 'A' RETIRED)     31 May 2011

in my considered view,what you claimed is correct and apply to all Hindu Undivided family memebers as perHSA.

seshadri vikrala ( Asst.Security Commissioner/Group 'A' RETIRED)     31 May 2011

in my considered view,what you claimed is correct and apply to all Hindu Undivided family members as per HSA.

Amit Kumar Mukhopadhyay (self)     10 June 2011

What about the proceeds of sale from Ancestral Property ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register