Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manish   23 July 2024

Cheque

lent 10 lakh rupees to a friend of mine through cheque, he was paying me interest since last four years but after a few months he has stopped paying me interest, I have also shown the interest in my income tax return. Now, when I asked a lot, he gave me a cheque for the original amount and it also bounced.
Can I go for 138 N I Act

Learning

4 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Telangana state Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     23 July 2024

If a cheque bounces, the following actions can be taken: 1. _Contact the issuer_: Reach out to the person or business that issued the cheque to understand the reason for the bounce. 2. _Send a notice_: Send a formal notice to the issuer, demanding payment within a specified timeframe (usually 15-30 days). 3. _File a complaint_: If the issuer fails to respond or make payment, file a complaint with the local police station under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881. 4. _Civil suit_: File a civil suit for recovery of the amount, along with interest and costs. 5. _Report to credit bureaus_: Report the bounced cheque to credit bureaus to impact the issuer's credit score. 6. _Follow up_: Continuously follow up with the issuer and legal authorities to ensure resolution. Documents needed: - Bounced cheque memo - Original cheque - Notice sent to the issuer - Proof of sending the notice (acknowledgement or postal receipt) - Police complaint (if filed) - Civil suit documents (if filed) Remember to: - Act promptly - Keep records of communication and documents - Seek legal advice for guidance - Be prepared for legal proceedings Note: The process may vary depending on the jurisdiction and local laws. Consult a legal expert for specific guidance.

Manish   23 July 2024

Thanks for your detailed advice, I just want to know that I am taking interest and I am a individual even after can I file a complaint u/s 138 ni act .

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     24 July 2024

Do you have any money lending licence to earn interest for the business ?

If no. it is illegal.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 July 2024

If you have his cheque bounced for the cheque amount then you can very well initiate crimninal case against him under section 138 NI act

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register