Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ketan (V&V Lead)     29 November 2011

Property sale and taxes

Hello,

Here is my scenario. Please assist me with the same.

1 Room Kitchen flat is on my Brother's name. I am co-borrower in the agreement. We bought this apartment 5 years back.

Recently bought 1BHK apartment (1 year ago). This flat is in my name. So is the Loan

We are planning to sell 1 Room kitchen apartment and clear the loan of 1BHK. I heard that there will be 20% flat tax applicable on the sale amount. I would like to know if I can get a waiver for this tax in any possible legal manner.

Thank You,

Ketan

Learning

4 Replies

ABHIJEET PARIKH (Bcom LLB MBA)     29 November 2011

Dear Ketan,

You will have long term capital gains to offset it u will have to invest in residential property within time frame mentioned in income tax act ie around 1 yr 

U cannot offset the loan amount of ur already purchased with the proceeds of 1 RK Flat u need to buy addln residential flat or otherway around u can invest the proceeds of 1rk flat in infrastrucutre bonds for lock in period of 3 yrs later on u can use the proceeds freely and u can pay back the loan out of it

Regards

Abhijeet

Dear Ketan,

You will have long term capital gains to offset it u will have to invest in residential property within time frame mentioned in income tax act ie around 1 yr 

U cannot offset the loan amount of ur already purchased flat with the proceeds of 1 RK Flat u need to buy addln residential flat or otherway around u can invest the proceeds of 1rk flat in infrastrucutre bonds for lock in period of 3 yrs later on u can use the proceeds freely and u can pay back the loan out of it

Regards

Abhijeet

Ketan (V&V Lead)     29 November 2011

Hi Abhijeet,

So, you mean I will have to pay 20% tax on the agreement anount, correct? How is this capital gain calculated?
Example: If I buought this 1RK flat in 2005 for 5 Lacs. Now If I am selling it for 15 lacs (10 on agreement and 5 non agreement).

Thanks,

Ketan

1 Like

Not exactly on 10 lac they consider following deduction allowed

1. Cost of inflation is consider its table is available with any CA

2.if u made repairs during the period and have preserved its receipts

3.TO sell ur 1 rk flat if u have paid any brokerage to broker through cheque

after considering above deductions u will come at net amount on which ur TAX is payable @ 20%

regards

Abhijeet

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register