Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

GOKULDAS KAMATH (EX BANKER)     22 July 2024

First lien and second lien on terminal benefits

As per  sanction  stipulations while availing the housing loan, Bank's first lien on my terminal benefits  was created for staff housing loan  in the year 1985 for the purchase of a tiled house and in 2000  for the purchase of a Flat  under 'change of security'.Overdraft facility  was introduced  in the bank in the year 2002 and I had created  second lien on my terminal benefits   for  staff overdraft account. Bank did not inform me  at the time of availing the overdraft facility that first lien  against staff housing loan is cancelled.Lien letters  in the prescribed format  with stamp duty duly signed by me and Nominee were submitted to bank's IR cell  every time after availing the housing loan as mentioned above.

Accordingly, Rs.299656  towards my PF settlement  was credited to my Housing loan account on 04.06.2013 and subsequently  I had repaid the remaining   outstanding amount  just before the end of December 2013  with an intention to close this account and the housing loan account had no other dues. But on 31.12.2013, Rs.299656 was reversed by the branch and credited to my Overdraft account stating that my terminal benefits are under lien to overdraft facility which was an illegal act by the bank thereby my staff housing loan account was not closed with  malafide intention. 

The rule of the land says that 'the term second-lien debt refers to a form of borrowing that occurs once a first lien is put into place. Put simply, if a borrower defaults, any second-lien debt gets paid after the first or original first lienholder is paid off in the event of bankruptcy of asset liquidation.

Based on above principles, reversal of Rs.299656 from the staff housing loan account to my overdraft account  without my consent was illegal.

It is learnt that Bank had transferred Rs.299656 from housing loan account to overdraft account because of following reasons

1. Overdraft facility is a clean advances without any security
1. Bank cannot take any action under SARFAESI Act  for overdraft facility

From 2013 onwards, I have repaid substantial amount to my housing loan account  which bank can transfer to OD account

Please guide me what action I can take to protect my interest

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register