LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Devang Gadhia (dev)   26 March 2022

Garage to commercial

I have the one garage in my building so should I transfer this garage to office ?
if yes so how is process ?

Learning

5 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     26 March 2022

Where in India is your garage? If you are in Mumbai, the following is the procedure.

Change of use of a garage from that of parking of a car to that of an office is called change of user in the terminology of the municipality. Such change of user needs the approval of the owner of the premises and that of the Municipality. If the garage is part of a co-operative housing society of which you are a member, at first you should apply to the Society for NOC for change of user.  With the NOC you must apply to the Municipality under the Shops & Establishments Act. The application to the Municipality is for 3 reasons. 1. As you are using the premises as an offiice there will be increase in property tax. 2. To ensure that you comply with fire and safty laws. 3. you comply witth labour laws with regard to your employees in the office. 

The above are for those law abiding people. In Mumbai many garages have been converted to offices, laboratories etc. without the permission of the Society and the Municipality. Ignorance of law is bliss. You choose.

Devang Gadhia (dev)   28 March 2022

i the owner of garage and also I'm stay in same building, society not provide me a NOC latter for the office

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 April 2022

You have still not stated in which State are you and what kind of Society is yours.  You are owner of the garage. Do you have a car also?  Do you also own a residential flat in the same building?  The Society is right in not giving you NOC to convert the garage into an office. Garages are intended to park cars It is not right to convert them into office or for any other commercial purpose.

Devang Gadhia (dev)   01 April 2022

Maharashtra state

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     04 April 2022

My reply given on 01-04-2022 pertains to Maharashtra.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register