LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

KSM   08 April 2023

In indian cyber laws when police wants to trace a mobile number... they have to get warrant ?

In indian cyber laws when police wants to trace a mobile number... they have to get warrant ? Is a warrant needed to approach a network operator like JIO ? Or the SP or DC can sign the request ? Some say even the inspector SHO can get the mobile subscribers info and CDR records. How do they do it ? And also as per law.... the operator will give info only for the number requested or can the police ask the operator if the subscriber has other numbers also in his name and will the operator reveal this. Or is it like police can only get info for specific numbers which they mention and have got warrant/permission for ?

Learning

4 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     09 April 2023

Investigating Officer of the FIR case can get CDR.

Prima facie it is an examination hall question paper, isn't it ?

KSM   09 April 2023

Means ? My question is if the have a number A and they dont hv any other number of the person they are after, will the network operator give out the other number B which the police do not know about.

In this case the police has been bribed heavily to find an innocent person to coerce him to sign for a property. Kindly dont assume the ones asking are always on the bad side. And this forum allows non advocaes to ask small queries about procedures right so that the common man is at least aware ?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     14 April 2023

Agreeing with Dr Vashista I will request you to please give facts of the case.

KSM   01 May 2023

Hi its not for a case, but im asking the general operating procedure when they want to trace mobile phones. I heard they have to give the operator a written request with sec 91 or something specifying the number/handset imei specifically without these 2 data the police cannot ask blankly for numbers in Mr.A's name.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register