LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

singhvi   16 March 2015

Mediclaim premium cheque bounced: company wants to cancel

My and my two parents have a 22 year old Mediclaim policy with Oriental Insurance. The premium is due by 26th Feb., I gave a cheque to the agent on 19th feb. At that time there was ample fund in my bank account. However on 25th a payment of credit card bill was made and funds dropped transiently for 2 days. At the same time I flew to New York for a medical conference on 26th.

Cheque presented on 26th was dishonored. My agent called up on 28th and I asked him to deposit cash. Normally they have a one month grace period for renewal of policy. However Oriental refused to accept the cash. I returned back on 5th March and have been visiting them number of times. They maintain that the grace period of one month is there but not after a cheque has been dishonored. If I had not given the cheque, there would have been no problem even today in accepting the cash. If I had issued a cheque with wrong signature, they say, no problems. Wrong date, no problems. But insufficient funds at time of presentation - big problem!

What is the legal standpoint on this? They quote some supreme court decision that once the cheque is dishonored even once, the chapter is closed for renewal of policy.

Isnt that too draconian?

Learning

3 Replies

Advocate Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     17 March 2015

Sir, Sounding strange .... But give me the name of the judgement I will see and revert back to you ... Regards Kapil Chandna Adv 9899011450

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     19 March 2015

Dont draw supreme court into such petty issues. The supreme court is not meant to dispose such disputes which is trivial and solvable locally.  If the company manager is not accepting your cheque or cash, you may ask him the alternative, if he is not providing alternative, escalate the mater with his higher authorities seeking their intervention. The insurance company will not go against their clients' interests. This is a gimmick played by the lethargy and arrogant staff of the company.  You can seek the relief from Insurance Ombudsman too when the company is rejecting your request. First of all did you make a representation in writing?, if so, did they acknowledge the refusal in writing?, with the records as documentary evidence, you can approach the consumer forum too for relief towards deficiency of service but exhaust the remedies available before you, in fact you issue a legal notice too seeking their clarification and reason for refusal quoting the relevant rules. Consult a lawyer in the local if you are not able to progress the issue and proceed as per his further advise.

singhvi   19 March 2015

Thanks for all the feedback. The main question was whether there is a ruling that a cheque bounce is such a grievious offence vs non payment at all that the company can unilaterally cancel the policy.

As of now they have accepted the cash and are renewing the policy. I have written to them regarding continuity benefits and they are taking a decision on the same.

If they dont allow benefits, then I will proceed as per Mr. Kalaiselvan's advice.

thanks.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register