LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Yash Gawad   15 May 2021

Selling a pagdi-owned room

In 2008, my dad bought a one-room kitchen at a multi storey building in Virar (Mumbai) at Rs 2.5 Lakhs. We stayed there for three years and later moved into our old house. Now we are willing to sell off that room but the landlord insists that we sell it off to him at the same price we had bought it more than a decade ago (2.5L). Neither he allows us to rent the room nor he wants to pay the current market price. What can we do? Please help, thanks!

Learning

4 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     15 May 2021

As you bought the room, it is your wish to sell the same to anyone who mutually agreed with you.  If the owner objects, complain to RERA.

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     16 May 2021

Yes it is your whims and fancy 

sneha jaiswal   16 May 2021

Hello, Greetings of the day!
For the query you posted, I would suggest that:
First, try to settle amicably but if in case matters are in the stage where legal action is needed; 
Then, lodge a complaint in the nearest Police station and in the complaint mention or record the statements about the issues raised by the previous landlord but now you had brought the property so there is no right left to him regarding your property, it depends upon your wish to sell the same at whatever price you want with the party who mutually agree with the same. 
Also, you have an option to go for the Alternate Dispute Resolution like Mediation where parties in dispute discuss their concern with the assistance of a trained impartial third person who helps them in reaching a settlement.

Hope it helps
Regards,
Sneha Jaiswal

Yash Gawad   16 May 2021

The building follows the pagdi-system. So it's not a problem if I want to sell it at current market rate whilst providing the landlord his share? He wants every owner to sell it to him at the decade old price. The dispute is going on for nearly 4-5 years.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register