LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Soumya George (Sr systems engg)     19 March 2012

Can a credit card harrass a reference?

I was a reference to a colleague when he applied for a credit card. That was around 4 years ago, and after that I am not in touch with him. Apparantly he has defaulted his payments, and I am getting threatening calls from a lawyer. Saying that the police is outside my house with a summons in hand. Is it possible? I have not stood as a guarentee for the application! I was only a reference. Please do give me a reply fast

Learning

1 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     19 March 2012

You are not a guarantor. Police can not be outside your residence. CC dues are civil liability and company can proceed to recover dues from your friend.

The person coercing you on phone is fake and is a recovery agency. The statements being given to you on phone are a standard draft which all in this trade use e.g CC companies, telecom companies etc.

The reference may be approached to know latest whereabouts of CC member or to persuade him to meet CC Company and settle dues.

Your may record the telephone calls and lodge a police complaint with O/o Police Commissioner and SHO making the local BM of the company a party, and obtain complaint number on your copy. If you can apply your resources in each O/o SP/Police Commissioner there are police employees who can find the address where the phone is located by one click of the mouse.

RBI guidelines on recovery are self explanatory and obviously the CC Company is violating the guidelines.

Kindly look into the attachments.If you are not able to handle the matter approach a competent and experienced lawyer and your lawyer shqll issue a legal notice to the MD/Chairman of the bank, and local BM demanding to supply the reason of such calls , address of recovery agency and its RBI registration number, and reason why your contact details are passed on to this agency for recovery from you and threat you.

Attached File : 784948833 9 master circular on credit card operations of banks.pdf, 784948833 rbi recovery agents of banks.pdf downloaded: 170 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register