LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SUNIL GOKHALE (Sr Manager)     20 June 2012

Meaning of the term wholly dependent

The term "wholly dependent" has been interpreted by the Divisional Bench of Supreme Court as under:

. A Division

of this Court in Govind Dass and Ors. v. Kuldip Singh , has held that the word "dependent" is not restricted to mere financially dependency but comprehensive enough to include persons who are dependent on the landlord for residential accommodation for the purpose of Section 14(1)(e) of the Delhi Rent Control Act,1958. It was observed as under:

...The term must be construed as meaning somebody not wholly independent or self-supporting and in a position to set up separate residence. Dependence may not in all circumstances be entirely a matter of finance and.... To our mind this interpretation, if accepted, would tend to restrict the meaning of the word "dependant" to a person being financially dependant. In the socio-religious structure of Hindu society it is common for all the members of a family of brothers to live together while some men folk in the family may go out of town to earn a livelihood and even remit their earnings to the family. One cannot shut one's eyes to this structure of our society and so to give a restricted meaning to the word "dependant" would be to provide a definition of this word which the legislature has advisedly chosen not to do so....

Kindly examine above interpretation in context of following Rules adopted by M/S Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.

A ) An officer, who has been allowed to keep his family at a station other than the place of his posting subject to meeting the prescribed conditions, can draw HRA or avail leased accommodation for residence of his family at that station.  In case he opts for HRA, the same is admissible at the applicable rate as per the classification of the city where the family is residing.  The officer can avail transit accommodation for self, if available, at the place of posting

B)Where family is allowed to reside at a station other than the station of posting, “dependent  parents” of the officer may stay with the family and this would be deemed as staying under the same roof with the officer to meet the condition of dependency, provided their income is within the limits prescribed for the purpose.

C)If a bachelor officer declares his parents as dependent on him, the parents have necessarily to reside with him at the station of his posting to meet the condition of dependency.  He may therefore, avail company owned, leased accommodation or HRA at the station of his posting as per rules.  In case of bachelor officer availing Transit Accommodation, the facility of leased accommodation or HRA will not be available for parents. 

As per rule C they say that House Retention would not be allowed to Bachelor Officer. Is it not discrimination?

Learning

8 Replies

chitra gupta (consultant)     20 June 2012

i will just suggest u to take up ths issue with ur associations  who will in turn obviously bring to the notice of the ioc and negotiate and may succeed to amend the rules for the benefits of the officers-ioc.....thanks(.)

SUNIL GOKHALE (Sr Manager)     21 June 2012

No our association is least concerned and the management is also not acceding to such requests. They approved this for me and went back saying approval was wrongly given to you. You pay back whatever HRA that was paid to you.

I find this rule is barberic even Moughals would not have had such a rule in their Kingdom

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     25 June 2012

Then why do not you challnage a law which you believe to be unconstitutional

SUNIL GOKHALE (Sr Manager)     26 June 2012

This is not a law as such. It is a rule for disbursing House Rent Allowance. Do not know if Shri Sudhir Kumar is in agreement that the said rule is disicriminatory.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 June 2012

I am not agreeing or disagreeing I am only saying that if you feel that there is a law or regulatin which is unjust of unconsitutional then challnage it.

SUNIL GOKHALE (Sr Manager)     26 June 2012

Shri Sudhir Kumar instead of contributing in interpreting is simply westing time. Feelings are not important. One should try to interpret the rules impartially and give opinions

chitra gupta (consultant)     26 June 2012

when ur association is not interested to take up this issue with the top management,it is sad.....but u have to protect ur self.....in that case, pl make one representation  to the top management thro" proper chanel endorsing copies to p&a and fin and wait.....in the mean time pl. consult one service matter lawyer for further coutse of action, if ur representation is turned down.....thanks(.)

SUNIL GOKHALE (Sr Manager)     27 June 2012

They had approved my request for family retention year after year . Then they suddenly said whatever approvals given are wrong and ordered recovery of Rs 7.57lacs as if HRA paid to me was for parents. I protested and represented to top management but received no replies.  Ultimately I wrote to the Minister of Petroleum & NG did not receive any communication, but the management is now recovering Rs 99000/- instead of Rs 7.57 lacs. I have asked for the working they have not provided but they proceeded with the recovery Rs 19800/- per month and  already deducted this amount in May'12 salary. I have asked under RTI  for the working as well as sanction by competent authority recovery of Rs 99000/- and awaiting the document under RTI act.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register