LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

KS Johal   24 March 2016

Mother forcing daughter

Dear Experts and prominent advocates; I have a client and need your expert opinion and advice. My client is an employee working in a private company; She is working hard and enjoys the work; Her mother along with other members of the family are asking her to leave her job and move into another area to stay with her violent husband. She did not want to marry this person but it was a forced marriage. My client accepted this because she felt that her parents would start introducing other boys with a view to marriage. She clearly did not want to marry this person. She was introduced by her father around 3 years ago. This proposal collapsed because the boy wanted money from the family. 3 years later the family started to introduce other boys. During the three years the same person kept on phoning my client and tried to convince her to get married and to accept his conditions. His conditions was that my client would stay with his parents; She would bring in money to pay for his debts. The reason he was not going to stay with her was because he was working at a distance and at the same time he had a widow living with him who had two sons. This window he calls her sister. My client suspects and is convinced that he is having an affair with this widow. Because of the fact that my clients parents were introducing other boys and nothing was being materialized her Mother said you can either get married to a new person or the one we had introduced 3 years ago. My client took the latter option because she knew the boy through telephone conversation and felt that it will satisfy the parents wishes and I would be able to come out of the marriage if I need to. She felt that she will give it a try to see if the marriage works. The marriage has taken place and after 2 months there is a lot of domestic violence and he is asking for money. Her job is away from her husband's job and before the marriage took place she (and her husband) had agreed that she will continue her job. Right now he is asking her to leave her job. He wants her to stay with his parents. Despite the fact her husband is causing cruelty and domestic violence; her mother is saying that this is normal and every woman needs to or are going through this. Your advice is sought on the following matters; 1 - what actions or what legal proceedings can be taken against the mother to avoid her from asking her daughter to leave the job? 2- what actions can be taken against the husband because he is creating a lot of harassment, cruelty and domestic violence? She clearly does not want to stay with him and live with him. Please advise freely. I thank you for your time and effort in reading this and providing a solution.

Learning

1 Replies

KS Johal   24 March 2016

Please do provide your advice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register