Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

T.V.Pillai   02 May 2024

Need for 2nd opinion on postmortem report of my son

Good evening friends

While my son was under the care of a wellness centre in Delhi, he became unwell and he had passed away while he was being taken to the hospital. 

His postmortem was performed and then the body was handed over to us. The postmortem report came after few months since tests by Regional Forensic Lab, Delhi took considerable time. 

The cause of death mentioned is natural. We do not entirely agree with the conclusion.

How do we seek a second opinion on the postmortem report ? 

As we live in Chennai, are there places here who would go through the postmortem report and give a second opinion?

Kindly guide me.

Learning

5 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     02 May 2024

If you have concerns about the quality of the post mortem, the cause of death given, or the actions of the pathologist who conducted the post mortem, you should first contact the coroner. The coroner is responsible for organising the post mortem and for choosing the pathologist who conducted it.

Families or legal representatives requesting a second autopsy must provide appropriate resources, such as records from the initial autopsy, medical history records, and police and hospital reports.

Second autopsies are technically and interpretatively difficult, and usually rely heavily on investigative information, first autopsy findings, and additional documentation from the first autopsy. Medicolegal second autopsies should be performed only by experienced, board-certified forensic pathologists.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     03 May 2024

Madras High Court (Madurai Bench) on 30.07.2020 in WMP(MD) 7570/ 2020 in WP(MD) 8160 of 2020 has directed the authorities to conduct re-psot mortom of body. 

Consult a local prudent lawyer with relevant records. 

P. Venu (Advocate)     03 May 2024

Is the body available for second autopsy?

T.V.Pillai   03 May 2024

Good evening sir. Thank you for your detailed reply.

V Thandapani 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     03 May 2024

You are welcome Mr. V Thandapani.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register