Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nagaraj C (NONE)     28 October 2011

Property rights of married daughters when it's already sold

Hi Everyone,

I would need a suggestion/expert's opinion for the below matter. 

My father has purchased 3.7 Acres of land in Mysore, Karnataka ( 12 Kms from Mysore Central) on Aug 08, 2005 from Son1 and  Son2 ( heirs of son2 as Son2 has died).  Son2 was died before 2005.   Puttamadaiah and Puttamma are the parents. They  have 3 daughters and 2 sons. ( 2 sons sold the property to us )

We don't have any information how the property had come to puttamadaiah ( Father).   Puttama had requested to transfer the property in the year 1989/90 as Puttamadaiah ( Husband ) died earlier. The property got transfered to Puttamma as per the legal proceddings. After the death of mother puttamma in the year 1993, two  sons got the property transfer on their name  in 29-9-1997 mentioning their daughters as they are married.  ( No share for daughters) From 1997 they are owing the property ( Two sons) 

In the year Aug 08, 2005 my father has purchased this property from Son1 and heirs of Son2.  We are not related to their family at all. 

one of the daughter had died before 2009 and left with two daughters

In the year 2009 the remaning two daughter flied a court case asking for share in the property giving reasons they were not aware of this proceedings.  In Mysore court, the decision has made that, the daughter1 and daughters 2 gets the equal share based on Hindu Succession act 2005 rule having my father as party.

Now, My questions are

Karnataka state had made updated amendment in the year 1990 ( See attached, Section 6A , point no. d) mentioing married daughters before amendment can't have the share.  Is this valid when Govt. of India amended the Hindu Succession act  in 2005 has passed? Does karnatka Govt. has any latest amendment after 1990 ? 

Mysore court has issued the decision stating the daughters has to get equal shares basec on Hindu Succession act 2005.  When you read the act, it was effecitve from September 2005 but they back dated the rules from Dec 20, 2004 ? Why ? We have purchased the property in Aug 2005 from son1 and heirs of son2 without  daughters ( Before the Hindu Succession Act 2005 passed on ) .

We had the deal in early 2005 based on Karnataka act 1990 ( Married daughter before 1990 can't have their share). 

Sale registrartion happened on Aug 08 2009

Hindu Succession Act 2005 passed / effective on Sep 09, 2005 stating back date Dec 20,. 2010 ? Why ? 

Don't they need to produce any document how the property came to Puttamadaiah ( father) . I don't see any document stating the same except oral agreement ?  When puttamadaiah died property has to be divided between wife and children but puttamma ( wife) only transfed on her name giving puttamadaiah death as reason.  Is this self owned property ? 

Even though the daughters have the equal rights on the property,  but the property is already sold to third person.  The share of the property has to be executed by Son1 and heirs of Son2 from the property sale amount ? 

Is my father responsible for paying any amount to daughter1 and daughter 2 ? 

We are planning to file a case in the high court. 

Any suggestion or expert comments are greatly appreciated. 

Learning

1 Replies

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     28 October 2011

Even if property had wrongly sold, the right of daughters in the properties cannot be denied and such sale-deeds are liable to be set aside on the whims and wishes of such daughters.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register