Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RAJESH (NA)     07 May 2012

Property tranferred through registered will

Hello there

My late Grandfather had three sons one  being my father and all are now dead. Later I came to know that the property (residencial house) of my grandfather was mutated in local municipal records in the name of one my uncles. Prior to his death, my uncle transferred 1/2th of the property to his only daughter and the rest to me and my brothers through a registered will. My cousin and her husband had come to live with my uncle much before his death and  are still occupying our share of property. We have got our share of property mutated in mucipal records in our favor and want to sell it but my cousin and her husband are not at all willing to vacate the property. Obviously They have their  designs to grab whole of the property. In this context, please advise me on the following.

1. Whether transfer of the property by mutation in the name of my uncle and subsequently transfer of 1/2nd of the property by my uncle to his daughter  has any legal sanctity?

2. Is obtaining a probate is necessary especially when the property is situated in a non-Presidency town?

3. What legal recourse we have to force my cousin to vacate the property so that we may sell it or can we still sell it even if under occupancy of  my cousin ?

Learning

1 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     07 May 2012

If the property was ancestral joint family property, even if it was mutated exclusively in name of uncle - it does not cease to be joint family property. (it may be termed a benami in name of uncle which he held for benefit of entire family) It belonged to 3 sons equally who shared each share respectively with their children. 

Now as per this interpretation the uncle could not have alienated more than his lawful third by gift or will or otherwise. 

Since he lacked the testamentary capacity the will is no good. 

Consult a local advocate with entire facts in extenso

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register