LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

amitk (SD)     26 September 2010

Question on Bigamy law

My friend had married a girl last year without telling anyone from his and her family. So after wedding she was living with her parents. The wedding was performed with buddhist rituals. Later he had planned for marriage registration. Girl due to pressure from her family or some unknown reason did not agree on signing the marriage registration papers. This caused a lot of quarrels between them and they decided to break their relationship and they did not talk to each other after that. They however did not do anything to legally end this relationship. No one from either family knows anything about it.

My friend is now planning to get married with another girl selected by his family. My concern is what trouble can first girl give to him legally if she decided to make his life miserable. What all IPC laws can he be subjected to if he goes ahead with this second marriage? What is best leagal way out of this problem for him.

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)

file RCR and write evrything in specific that they got married. if she sends a denial you got proof of no marriage. after tat he may go ahead.

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     26 September 2010

If there was a valid marriage solomnized then it can be dissolved only by valid divorce. The girl i.e. the first wife can file a complaint of bigamy u/s. 494 IPC, which will put your friend in trouble.

Ravikant Soni (LAWYER IN JAIPUR)     27 September 2010

I do agree with archana.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register