Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raktim Chakraborty (Deputy Manager - Enterprise Risk Services)     06 May 2012

Sale deed required?

Need to know if "Sale Deed" is required or not for the following case:

Dec 2011 -  MoU was notarized between seller and me for a resale property in Mumbai suburbs. The building was built in 2007 - the society was already formed.

Dec 2011 - Selected a bank for Home Loan, and applied for it

Dec 2011 Last Week - We paid our contribution to the seller, The rest was to be funded by the bank.

Jan 2012 First Week - "Sale Deed" was drafted. But, since bank loan was involved and bank was yet to disburse the entire loan, the words "Sale Deed" were changed to "Agreement of Sale" by the Registrar's office. On the same day, that "Agreement of Sale" was executed and registered. Full stamp duty and registration fees was paid.

Jan 2012 Second Week - Original "Agreement of Sale" was submitted to the bank, along with all required forms/ letters. Bank disbursed part of the loan so that the seller can pay-off his existing loan, and get original papers

Jan 2012 Second/ Third Week -  The seller obtained all cleared papers, NoC from society in bank's format, cleared his existing fees and all the original papers were submitted to the Bank where I had applied for the loan.

Feb 2012 First Week - The full loan was disbursed and we movoed to the new house. Pre-EMI was also paid by us

Mar 2012 - EMI 1 paid

Apr 2012 EMI 2 paid

Now, do we have to execute Sale Deed?

And if yes, how long do we have? do we have to pay the full registration fees, and Stamp Duty one more time (that will be about 5 lakh)?

Learning

3 Replies

Hemang (Advocate)     21 June 2012

Please confirm the facts as to whether there is error in "title or recital" only... What are the clauses incorporated in the said executed deed? Is it really an agreement to sale or the text is conveying the property? If there is only a mistake or error in heading of the document, you may get the deed of rectification registered. If, it is an agreement to sale in a real sense, then a sale deed has to be executed. You must clear this issue, or else you will be facing with title related issue in future. 

The stamp duty and registration charges are already paid, so you need not pay twice. A good lawyer can better resolve the issue. 

Raktim Chakraborty (Deputy Manager - Enterprise Risk Services)     21 June 2012

Thanks for the reply, Hemang.

The texts in the document were meant for "Sale Deed" with all appropriate clauses like "transfer of right, title and interest", "transfer rights to exclusively use, occupation and enjoyment", "free from any encumbrances" etc.

Since, we were purchasing the house on Bank Loan and 80% was due at time of registration, executive from Registration Office changed the heading of the document to "Agreement For Sale", cutting "Sale Deed". On receiving the registered document, and other receipts and papers in original, bank disbursed the loan.

We have checked the paper with a local lawyer, with our Society Secretary and Committee, and also by my father-in-law who is an Tax Lawyer for over 40 years in Calcutta. All are happy with the texts. Even we went to the Registrar's office, but the executive said that since the property is already transferred, another registration will mean a "new sale" - which is obviously not our case.

Society has also completed the process of transferring the shares to our names. The original share certificate has our names written on it now.

The only problem is with the bank loan manager. When I request him to send me a written notice about this new requirement, he keeps on avoiding that.

I have been in auditing for a few years, and I am pretty sure that no bank will disburse a simple rupee unless they are doubly sure about the papers. It seems we have not kept anything incomplete... but a civilian can never be sure :(

Amit N (Proprietor)     03 July 2012

Hello Mr Raktim

Agreement of sale is different from a sale deed. It gives you the right to 'buy' the property, does not bestow ownership rights to you. Unless you have an 'Agreement of sale cum GPA' document which is used in place of a sale deed often to save stamp duty percentage.

In your case, it seems what you have done is, used the content of a 'Sale deed' to make an 'Agreement of Sale' to save duty. But Mr Raktim, legally, an 'Agreement of Sale' has a limited validity period, irrespecitve of the content you have put into it. So legally, you are not safe unless you have a 'Sale deed' in your name.

My suggestion is to go for a proper 'Sale deed' even if it means more expense. Else, you might face problems in the future while trying to sell the property.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register