LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jayanta Bandyopadhyay   12 September 2024

Deduction of salary for late attendance

Suddenly company is circulating notice for deduction of one day's salary for 3 days late for unionised and management staffs. It is not approved by Local Labour Commissioner. Can they do so?

Learning

6 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Telangana state Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     12 September 2024

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     12 September 2024

There are many laws in your favour. But let us look at the merits of the case. Punctuality is important for not only discipline but also for efficiency and reliability. Indians are notorious for not being punctual. Europeans are very punctual even for personal appointments. Japanese are extremely punctual. That was the reason that they progressed very fast and became equal to Europeans even more than a century ago. Modi has eliminated open defecation. I do not know why he is not preaching punctuality. Now let us come to your problem. Is it that you feel that punctuality should not be insisted upon or that the punishment is excessive. Will you settle for a lesser punishment? What is your and other's problem for being punctual? Have you to come everyday commuting long distances? Are your transports unliable?  Consider this and other factors try to negotiate with the management. In the extreme case take the advice of Advocate Rama Chari Rachakonda. I have worked in Western countries. They are very punctual. And they have progressed. Indians have lost many wars just because they were not punctual.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     12 September 2024

The Employment Rights Act 1996 (ERA) protects workers from unauthorised deductions from pay. The rules on unlawful deduction of wages relate to underpayment or non-payment of an employee's wage or salary without their permission or consent.

Any new law framed which may affect/harm or can cause detrimental effect to the employee may not be considered as a legally valid act, especially if it is enforced without the approval of the labor commissioner, then the company may be responsible for the legal consequences.

Jayanta Bandyopadhyay   13 September 2024

Sir

Does it require Standing Order be approved by Govt Authority. Mgt is firm to deduct salary for late coming. Even station master's note on late running of train is refused. Job market is poor. Anonymous letter to Labour Commissioner is OK?? 

P. Venu (Advocate)     13 September 2024

In my view, the provision made by the company is a concession than a rule. No employee has a vested right to report late for duty. And the company has inherent right to insist the employees be punctual. If late, the employer has the right to prevent the employee from reporting for duty or at least to deduct half a day's salary.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     14 September 2024

I agree with Adv:Venu

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register