LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

P Mohan   05 May 2016

Defamation case

I have a query - pls respond on the same.

I had taken a token advance for selling my flat and mentioned in the token receipt that in case the agreement to sell doesnt happen within a time frame, the token shall be forfeited. The intention was to prevent the buyer from mongering around. The buyer failed on the agreement. I forfeited the token. However, to my surprise, he contacted the police and illegally got me arrested for not refunding him the token. I was granted bail in a month's time. The case is going on but I wish to file a case of defamation and damages for the damages I have suffered. This was at best a civil matter.

Can I file the defamation & damages case?

Thanks... PM

Learning

4 Replies

(Guest)

yes you can.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     05 May 2016

Obtain copy of complaint, FIR and police report thru RTI and approach an able counsel specialzing in such matters.

P Mohan   06 May 2016

Thank you for your valuable inputs. But there was a slight mistake in my query. Which is - Can I file the defamation and damages suit NOW, because the criminal matter is still in progress. My lawyer has confirmed to me that I will win the criminal matter eventually. Thats the reason why I wanted to file the damages suit NOW.

Thanks... PM

P Mohan   10 May 2016

Could you please respond on my last point, which I had missed out earlier.

The criminal case is still in progress but I wanted to go ahead and file the defamation and damages case. Can i proceed with the same?

Thanks & Regards.... P Mohan

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register