Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shashank (Executive Secretary)     07 February 2013

Dispute with landlord

Dear Expert Advisories,

Let me brief you with some background history before my query.

We and our fore fathers live in Kalyan, District Thane, Maharashtra since last 60 years.  My grandmother hired a house on rent before 60 years in a chawl of 4 houses. One was occupied by us, second and third house there are other tenants and fourth was occupied by landlord himself.

As it was a 60 years old chawl houses and made of wood.  One can imagine in these 60 years, what was the condition of the house.  In 1991, landlord filed a case against us to vacate the house on the basis of abusement, harrasement, etc.  The landlord has 4 sons from which 1 was staying separately with his wife and children.  The other 3 were suppose to get married and hence he need a room for his children attached to their present room and hence he lodged a case against us which eventually we won after 10 years as his claims were baseless.

My grandmother expired in 1992 and we were now family of 6 (father, mother, myself, 2 sisters and 1 brother).  My father got retired in 2001 and acquired 1 more room in a chawl near to this chawl in my name so that I can settle down after marriage.

My 1 sister got married in 2003 and I got married in 2004.  As explained earlier, as it was becomig difficult to stay in the house as it was deteriorating day by day.  Also the floor condition was worsen due to rats and other nusance.  We requested our landlord to give us the permission to repair/rebuild the house.  We also told him you can increase rent as per the municipality norms.  But he and his sons wasn't bother about our request.

When it was impossible to stay, we looked out for another option in 2005 in a flat in a building near to this chawl whose rent was Rs.2500/- per month.  By this time, I was leaving separately with my wife and a child.  The flat rent was paid by my younger sister who got married only last month.  Now only my father, mother and younger brother is staying in the flat and now the rent has increased to Rs.4500/- per month.  My younger brother is working on contract basis and don't have much salary to pay rent and also to bear day to day household expenses.

The landlord also expired last year and now his 2 sons do not want our house to be renovated due to their previous grudges.

We were not staying in the chawl house from 2005.  Is there any solution so that we can renovate our house?  We are willing to pay him increase rent.

Please help.

Warm regards,

Shashank

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register